Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the very, very, very first time in my beekeeping endeavors I caught a special swarm.
A special swarm?
Why you ask?
Because it chose me! :mrgreen:

I went out to move one of the 30 boxes stacked up in my backyard tonight. I lifted off the inner cover and noticed a bunch of ants scurring about on the inner cover. "Little buggers" I mutter and grab the inner cover and turn it over to knock them on the ground when I noticed something different........ the thing is covered in bees! :shock:
I look down and I can't see the top bars for bees in the box.
I have been wondering why the only calls I get are for the difficult ones. Adam Foster Collins caught a swarm in a swarm trap he set out (never happened for PerryBee).
But all that changed tonight! They moved right in to my backyard and made themselves at home. :thumbsup:
I will sleep like a baby tonight!

Cut-out starts at 10 am tomorrow on the old house 10 minutes from here, set the scaffolding up today.
Life is good!:grin:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That must be the swarm I had that absconded. I offered a 10 buck reward go ahead and package them up and send them back to the prairie. Thanks for finding these lost soles I was very worried.:grin:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Congratulations :thumbsup:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me last year,I had a nuc box that had frames sitting next to the house,and a swarm loaded themselves in it,and since being transferred this Spring to a full Lang have grown to become one of my strongest colonies.:thumbsup:

Gotta love them gimmees...

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
Congratulations Perry! And yours actually picked a hive box! How cool is that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts