A full day with the bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 10, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rained last night and cloudy all day today, i have 10 hives an hour away that i haven't been able to get too fore 3 weeks (in a creek bottom) because of the rain. So i took the four weeler and checked them out today and a good thing i did, all needed supers they had filled (not capped) the two (each) that i put on 3 weeks ago, and three hives had capped swarm cells:eek:.I gave them all another super and made up 6 nucs, didn't even try to find the queen, to many bees and with the cloudy weather they were using me as a pin cushion, stopped counting after 11 hits:shock:.I have know idea what they are working, with the cold rainy days and snow the last 3 weeks to have filled those supers ( they were drawn comb supers) and to build up that fast:???:.Our honey flow usually starts the last week of May?? I done all this after i drove to Springfield, mO. and caught a swarm at 7:00am this mourning,and on the way home this evening with my load of bees my wife called and said a friend in Republic, Mo. called and said she has a swarm in a bush.Called her back and said we will be there in the mourning. Jack

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jack, envy you being a pin cushion for the real thing.....about the only thing for me is weekly needles.....:lol: so to me sounds like you are off to a great start for a good year of honey.....and swarm catching.....:grin:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have worked the last couple of days on a larger operation and the fellow I have been working with has been great. I stopped counting the hits he took on his hands the first day, I would safely estimate he took at least 40.
    Yesterday it was not so bad, he took maybe 20 -25.
    I kept asking if he was alright, and all he would say is "it's part of the job".

4. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Bee stings are not very painful to me, and there is little or no swelling. Four hours after being stung there is not a mark to be seen. Still, 40 stings seems way over the top. To my pea sized, engineering brain forty stings one day 25 the next is begging trouble.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm like you Lazy S.
    A few stings here and there don't faze me at all, a few minutes after I even have a hard time finding them, but this seemed like a lot to me.