Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by a member in a PM if there was a way to see what part of the country / world our visitors and members were coming from. I've actually been asked this before but with our new forum software i can actually deliver now :)

We have a map now that anyone can view that shows our members / visitors / bot's / and admins that are currently online.

To keep your information private there is no association between your member profile and the map marker. The map marker is not exact either, it is to the nearest sizable town and based on your IP, not your house ( I don't have that info anyway :)) but it is a pretty decent representation of where our readers are.

There are 2 way's to get to the map:

1. In the "Community" menu at the top of the forum is a menu item "User Map"

map1.jpg

2. At the bottom in the "Currently Active Users" section there is a link "view map"

map2.jpg

Hope you find it as fun as I do!

If you have any questions post em here or send me a PM

Charles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so who is the admin/mod that is in Toronto?
That Toronto admin marker is a flub, it will go away as the cache refreshes itself. Mods are actually not showing yet but they will shortly too.

Doesn't look like efmesch is listed. Did you fire him?
He's not online, this list is only for currently online

I like...... Thanks
Your welcome...

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Charles, I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
It never occurred to me that that the forum has people reading it in China !! Actually, Why not? When will they register?
I think that this option will be a regular obsevation stop for me. :grin:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Is spider what I think they are, trying to get info off of people, glad I have a good security system on my computer.

kebee

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
some spiders and bots are looking for information that other people have "googled" or used some search engine to find info., not necessarily looking at your personal stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is a really cool addition. I dont feel so isolated now.:grin:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I see a green balloon in South Africa. - - - Is that you Mark ?

I share Efmesch's comments. The community map is now one of my first clicks on the forum.

It would be nice to fill in some of the blanks with members. :smile:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Hey--there's someone from the Saychelles, north of Madagaskar. It looks like he's swimming.:rolling:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
very cool charles, like it! thanks!
i use wireless broadband..........so everyday i will be visiting from another state, missouri, kansas, iowa, illinois, minnesota or nebraska, today i am visting from beesmarck, north dakota:lol: !

·
Registered
728 Posts
Been having a play. Notice we have a guest in central Russia. When I Google Earthed the spot, it came up with river valleys and woodland. The nearby photo collection showed what appeared to be a pre-revolutionary estate and some run down later buildings. I am afraid my cyrillic was not upto the photo caption. :eek:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
There must be some snags in the system, I've been online for over an hour but I still don't appear on the map?
Could it be my computer doing something I don't know about:dontknow:?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There must be some snags in the system, I've been online for over an hour but I still don't appear on the map?
Could it be my computer doing something I don't know about:dontknow:?
That's weird, I wonder if your browser is holding the map in cache. If your on a windows pc then try holding the ctrl key and press f5 while your looking at the map. This will force your browser to reload the page.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Thanks Charles: I reappeared on the map and regained the ability to chat after i did some cleaning of of the system with CCleaner. Back in business. :grin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts