A gallon or so of honey gone for spring, 2011.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My next door neighbor had a tulip poplar cut down today. One of the largest I have ever seen. At least 5 feet in diameter. When it shed it's blooms in the spring, my whole yard would turn yellow.

When it hit the ground, it shook my whole house. I thought they had hit it, but it was just the size of the tree. It wasn't near the house. I sure will miss the buzzing of the bees in that one, come spring.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep a tree that big would have really put out some nector and pollen.

That poplar would make some good bee boxes, hard to find a saw mill around for a log that big though.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I put out several Tulip Poplar trees here on the farm a couple of years ago,my 85 yr. old beekeeper buddy said it takes ten years of growth before they will bloom. If that's the case i may not ever see them bloom. :beg: Jack

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have two poplars that size here at the house, one in the fence row at the road and another at the end of on little garden spot. the one at the garden keeps dropping large limbs, I really hope it doesn't die out on me.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Tulip poplars are also a favorite of hummmingbirds. I have heard the wood has a beautiful grain. Did they have it sawn?

I have a huge tulip poplar that is completely hollow on the bottom and will shake the whole town when it comes down, but I hate to have it cut.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

the wood is a fine grain with color ranging from creamy white to a light shade of green, soft and easy to work. There is some resistance to rot.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Although it wasn't hollow, it was flawed. When it hit, it split for about 30 feet and will be cut for firewood. Sawmills here will not cut yard trees. Two many nails and other metal embedded in the trees over the years.