Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor had a tulip poplar cut down today. One of the largest I have ever seen. At least 5 feet in diameter. When it shed it's blooms in the spring, my whole yard would turn yellow.

When it hit the ground, it shook my whole house. I thought they had hit it, but it was just the size of the tree. It wasn't near the house. I sure will miss the buzzing of the bees in that one, come spring.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Yep a tree that big would have really put out some nector and pollen.

That poplar would make some good bee boxes, hard to find a saw mill around for a log that big though.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I put out several Tulip Poplar trees here on the farm a couple of years ago,my 85 yr. old beekeeper buddy said it takes ten years of growth before they will bloom. If that's the case i may not ever see them bloom. :beg: Jack

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I have two poplars that size here at the house, one in the fence row at the road and another at the end of on little garden spot. the one at the garden keeps dropping large limbs, I really hope it doesn't die out on me.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Tulip poplars are also a favorite of hummmingbirds. I have heard the wood has a beautiful grain. Did they have it sawn?

I have a huge tulip poplar that is completely hollow on the bottom and will shake the whole town when it comes down, but I hate to have it cut.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
the wood is a fine grain with color ranging from creamy white to a light shade of green, soft and easy to work. There is some resistance to rot.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although it wasn't hollow, it was flawed. When it hit, it split for about 30 feet and will be cut for firewood. Sawmills here will not cut yard trees. Two many nails and other metal embedded in the trees over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts