A good day/night for a fire

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Slowmodem, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It's not cold, it's 45F. It's starting to rain and there's a chill. So I thought it would be nice to start a fire. I don't know why, but a fire can add cheer and lift the spirits in a room. It can add warmth, too. And they smell nice. I'll have to turn the heat down (and maybe turn on the a/c). But it'll be nice to watch it for a while. (click on picture for video)

[​IMG]

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I envy you Greg!
    We have Electric Thermal Storage, which has the ambiance of a brick. :sad:

Believe it or not, when we have had company over the last couple of weeks, we turn the TV to channel 15 which is the "fireplace" channel during the month of December.
    (it has Christmas songs in the background too) :roll: :lol:

Fireplace.jpg Fireplace 001.jpg

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I quit using my electric central heat after the winter of 2010/2011 when it was both inadequate and expensive. (In Texas the heating ducts run through the attic and hot air is forced DOWN. Which means the attic vents carry most of the heat off)

The furnace still works. I turn it on for 15 minutes early in the morning a couple of times a winter, when the stove is totally out and I'm getting ready for work. But the rest of the time, I have an old wood stove for my sole heat.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We have a force air furnace (propane gas) for back up, but we use the gas log in the fireplace more. Like Slowmodem said, there's just something about a fire.:smile: Jack

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

IMG_20121223_221046.jpg
    Yes, fires are nice. We have our wood stove burning nice and toasty. 31 degrees here right now.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

31 degrees there right now?:shock: Dave, you need to put another log on the fire.:lol: Jack

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I sure will, ha! It is supposed to drop to 18 by Friday. Wife and I moved about 4 rics to the front porch so we could grab the wood easily. Supposed to have 5 inches by Wednesday.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bad part of my wood stove - cutting wood. Good side of the drought - I haven't had to buy much in the last 2 years. Just show up with chain saw when a neighbor or friend has a dead tree.

I do like a fire. And being warm.... And the smell.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Of course, I read how to stay warm all winter with just one piece of firewood:

1. Take wood to the highest elevation in your house.
    2. Throw wood out the window.
    3. Go pick up the wood.
    4. Repeat as necessary.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I like that one, but I well need 4, one for each of us for real cold days when we don't want to share.