A little disappointed...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ablanton, Jun 30, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I'm a little disappointed today although I guess I shouldn't be. The 10 frames in the honey super that were slam full of honey & nectar last week had a fair amount of brood today. There was a good bit of wax being drawn in the fourth box, as well.

I was hoping to get lucky and have a least a LITTLE bit of honey my first year. Oh, well. Guess I shouldn't get greedy. At least I'm getting a good supply of wax for next year!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't give up yet, simply find the queen, make sure she is down in the brood chamber, add an excluder and then your honey super. Once the brood hatches out they will backfill the honey super. The bees will readily go through it now that there is brood above.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap....keep at it like Perry said....I respect the argument for/against, but I am using excluders to avoid that very things to begin with...

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Yes, I am trying to go without an excluder. I figure they will take whatever space they need, and I'll take whatever is left. I only plan on using an excluder if I choose to make comb honey at some point in the future.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well, that is what I am doing with one hive. I saw Riverbee's post on using a foundationaless frame and went right to work making a few of them. I replaced a few frames in a super today.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use white foundation in my honey supers to deter the queens from laying up there and it works to some degree. They like dark comb to lay brood in. But if it gets congested or what ever reason, they will move up if they can. Once you have had a cycle of brood hatch through those honey super combs they will always be attractive to the queen.
    Don't immediately dismiss excluders, they have a use. Yes, they are often referred to as honey excluders and there may be a bit of an arguement there, but once the queen has gone up they are invaluable IMHO.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Better check your bottom boxes. Many times a queen will move up because all the stores are in the top and the bottom is empty. If that's the case, you don't want to add space at the top.

8. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Well, I may get some honey after all. Checked today and the girls have forced the queen out of the super and back down into the deeps. Only two of the ten frames showed any sign of brood, and they were about all hatched out. Four of the frames were completely filled with capped honey. Three or four others were about half filled.