A little home made music..wishing you a happy Christmas!

Discussion in 'Family' started by Omie, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Last night my sweetheart and I sat by the fire and played a few tunes. He on fiddle, me on my gourd banjer. It felt cozy and festive, and I thought I'd share one of our simple tunes with my friends here on BKForums.... http://youtu.be/ebVvOi02VxI

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, may your hives be boomers next year!... :wave:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Darn right it was good, Omie!! :thumbsup:

Thank You, and Merry Christmas :D

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Great tunes Omie. (I watched the other vids of you, too.)

Not too many folks play the old time "claw hammer" style of banjo anymore.

Thanks for posting it here, and may you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

The Oneys
    Rodger and Val

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

Merry Christmas Omie and thx for sharing.

5. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

That's some good stuff right there. thanks for sharing!

...JP

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

those are some good tunes, wish you would post more of them (and yes I did watch all of them).

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im with g3 I kept myself quite entertained thanks for posting. Do you ever make it to winfields walnut valley festival. I love bluegrass live 8 miles from Winfield and never been

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Thanks guys for the kind words. We are playing a LOT of music this holiday season with our friends who play as well. Last night, tonight, and a big music party all day tomorrow with all the guests being musicians...

Rat- we sometimes go to 'old-time music' festivals- mostly campouts. Since we don't actually play bluegrass, we never go to bluegrass festivals. We play what's called 'old-time music' which is what came before bluegrass. Bluegrass was developed around 1935 (by Bill Monroe) as a new genre combining elements of oldtime fiddle tunes and ballads, western swing, and early country music. We play much older American fiddle-based music, like from the 1850s-1940. I know it may sound very similar, but actually if we went to a bluegrass or an Irish jam we'd have a very hard time playing along, and vice versa!

9. herblover

herblover New Member

Beautiful tune Omie! What is it about banjos and bees! It must be something. I love your gourd banjo. It sounds alot like my Ome! I'll bet yours is a whole lot lighter to hold. I'll be listening to this alot more. That sound says so much. This made my day. Happy New Year!

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Hey thank you herblover!
    My gourd is much lighter for sure- but way more slippery to hold onto! It's kind of like holding a greased pumpkin in your lap. lol!
    We played some more tonight with just fiddle and gourd banjo, so we'll probably record a couple more tunes in another week or two.