A little late.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Mar 14, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

....but finally the ice has melted off the pond and the peepers are back singing away. It's a sign of spring, and they are a welcome sound in the evening. :thumbsup:

Even seen at least two gold fish the snapper must of missed last summer.... :lol:

This year, that snapper is going to be snapper soup... :Dancing:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

From my wilder days....
    [​IMG]

Yes, no blooms at all here yet, but at least the snow has almost all melted and you can see geen daffodil shoots poking up one inch from the ground!

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Great photo Omie.

I was never into snappers until I was invited to a annual snapper picnic that a fellow beekeeper hosts every year. Snapper soups, deep fried nuggets, and many other dishes....all with snapper. Been going for about 5 years now. And the beer aint bad either.... :drinks:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wait until you clean your first one. The fun ends there and you may decide that was enough to last a life time. An hour or two of hard, stinking work for very little meat.

BTW, do you know there are 7 different meats in a snapper? At least according to the oldtimers.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Awww, cleaning those turtles ain't too terrible. We just had a snapper cookout at our house a year or so ago. The kids had so much fun that now they can't wait for two more big old snappers to come wandering up to the house.

Omie's snappers are nice enough size to feed quite a few folks! What do you do with yours Omie? We love them deep fried, but when I was a kid we always had to turn them into stew or soup since there were so many of us.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I like the stews, but prefer to smoke them over Hickory chips and bar-b-que sauce basting.

I'll be sure to bring all mine to you this summer for cleaning, mama beek.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

not me, the boys are good at it. I made sure they knew what they were doing. ;)

8. Omie

Omie New Member

I had a girlfriend who cleaned and cooked a HUGE snapper that year (about twice the size of my photo. She told me she would never do it again- that it was a nasty messy job for very little meat. What's more, she said she had the cubed meat in a bowl in the fridge, and the next day she took it out to start cooking....and the little meat cubes were TWITCHING around in the bowl....EEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! LOL! NO THANKS! LOL

Those two particular turtles got driven across the Hudson river and released in a big swamp.
    But so many more keep migrating to my pond and nipping the feet off my ducks, that I eventually just started shooting them. There was just too much driving to be done otherwise! :| I was actually very good at sneaking up and flipping them out of the big pond with a rake.
    And those two snappers in the photo....I actually jumped into the water and grabbed them both by their tails with my bare hands at the same moment ....while they were 'otherwise occupied' !!! :lol: My two little daughters were very impressed, needless to say. :lol: In the photo, you can see the one on the right with its mouth open still trying to get me! :shock:

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i was a water patrolman on Table Rock lake (Cape Fair, Mo.) i was walking across the dock and a group of fishermen that came from St. Louis, Mo. every year to set trotlines for turtles, stopped me and invited me to there camp for a cookout that night. They had buckets full of turtle meat they had just cleaned, it looked like a bucket of guts to me :roll: . I declined, and thanked them for the offer, i told them i had to work that night (which i did). Always kind of wished i'd stopped by,they claim there are 7 different types of meat in a turtle and some locals who were invited said it was very good. :confused: Jack

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

There are no bad meats. Just bad cooks.

A good cook take any (healthy) piece of meat and make it taste great. Turtle included.... :thumbsup:

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Cleaning turtle is one of those things that require a certain amount of education when it comes to doing it with any kind of time efficiency I suppose. I think it's worth it at least once or twice every couple of years or so....unless you just happen to have an abundance of turtle available.

I've heard all sorts of people say that they twitch for a long time, but I've never heard the next day! I can see where it might gross someone out who was thinking of eating it though.

I've also heard the 7 different flavors bit, but I must not have a discerning enough palate to figure them out.... to me it all tastes like a turtle. :dontknow:

I didn't realize that the snappers eat the feet off of ducks!! I reckon they sure do deserve to be eaten for that :eek:

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Maybe because it was in the fridge overnight, and so it was able to keep twitching the next day when she took it out to cook. :eek:

Yes my poor ducks, stumping around with all kinds of missing toes. :( And not much worse than watching your mother ducks and duckling swimming along ahppily and then suddenly a baby duckling gets pulled down under and never comes up again. :cry: That was the last straw for me!

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

The kids would never tell me if that happened......they would know that until I had cleared the ponds/lake/swamp/etc. of snapper there would be no more home cookin', clean laundry, or any of the other "mother done" chores! Poor little duckies!

14. Yuleluder

Yuleluder New Member

Bjornbee, Didn't you say you were going to get that turtle a couple of years ago, lol! 16 years ago when I lived in Belle Chasse, LA I would catch large snappers using a modified crab trap. Place some chicken in the bait cage and come back in a couple of hours and have me some turtles. Of course I would catch spiny softshells, red eared sliders, and snappers. I would throw the trap out in the middle of the small canals and use my cast net to catch the bouy and bring the trap back in. Those were the days...

15. XLB

XLB New Member

[/quote:2s3tjr57]

the trick to getting it not to twitch is to hang it by it's tail over night so that it can 1, drain out all it's blood and 2, so that it can all the nerves and stuff can die off. once you do this, all the rest is pretty easy.

every body tells me there are seven different flavors of meat in a turtle, but i've only been able to taste four, catfish, bass, salmon, and crappie. :D

[/quote:2s3tjr57]

YUP! :amen:

16. rast

rast New Member

"and the little meat cubes were TWITCHING around in the bowl....EEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! LOL! NO THANKS! LOL"

I recon you have never cooked frog legs either. Fresh, local ones are the "nectar of the gods". Not that frozen imported junk.

Oh yeah, softshell is better than snapper.

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Nope, i have never cooked frogs legs. But I did eat them once.
    When i was about 8, my mother battered and fried some and gave them to me to eat without telling me what it was. I don't know where she got them. I thought it was tender young chicken legs. They were pretty good. Only after I ate them did she tell me they were frog, and I was pretty mad at her. I remember thinking at the time that was a rotten thing to do to someone, and it totally turned me off the idea of eating frog's legs ever since. :-|

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mama beek, snapers aren't the only thing under water that eat baby ducks, I've seen big bass around boat docks jump out of the water to grab a duckling. That's another reason i tell my wife that i must go fishing. :mrgreen: Jack