A method for producing an empty honeycomb

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by H_Sitnikau, Dec 21, 2011.

1. H_Sitnikau

H_Sitnikau New Member

Hello everyone, I would want to share my method for producing empty honeycomb. I am from Belarus, so excuse my spelling/grammatical errors.

This method for producing an empty honeycomb from sterilized beeswax includes melting and cooling of the beeswax. Method is different in the following: obtained beeswax layer is additionally covered from both sides with molten emulsified beeswax layer of thickness 0.5 - 1.0 mm.
    There are modern complex plants for processing wax materials using unique and expensive efficient equipment. In these plants, methods of producing artificial empty honeycombs by rolling between rolling presses, including formation of relief on the rolling presses, are implemented. However, artificial production of honeycombs, by means of automated methods, gives beeswax with nesting cell of standard sizes only. Any standards do not allow to fully utilizing teamwork of bees families and further lead to the selective degeneration of the bees families. Standard cell of the artificial honeycomb becomes a Procrustean bed for the tribe culture of bees. Moreover, covering working surfaces of the rolling presses with relief is sufficiently laborious.
    The closest analog to the proposed solution (prototype) is a method for producing artificial empty honeycomb suggested by inventor I. Mering from Frankenthal, Germany. According to this method, sheet beeswax, which is used to produce artificial honeycomb, is obtained by immersing a thin board first in molten wax, and then in cold water. However, Mering's method was not demanded for due to the crudeness of the wax layer, which was used to cover wood board. It took long time for the bees to treat such layer.
    When working on the solution I made an objective to produce such an empty honeycomb, which would be favorable for the bees to naturally form the honeycomb.
    This problem can be solved by a method for producing an empty honeycomb from sterilized beeswax, in which beeswax is melted and cooled, and additionally covered from both sides with molten emulsified beeswax layer of thickness 0.5 - 1.0 mm.
    Such methods allow obtaining an emulsified wax-covered plate (firm base), which is a porous material. Emulsified wax reduces time required for bees to process sheets into honeycombs and gives an additional feature to beekeeping, since emulsified wax is a component of natural wax, which is isolated during production of the former. Before, emulsified wax being a fraction mixed with water was cut from the bottom of the wax frame and thrown away by beekeepers. If required, emulsified wax can be obtained artificially by adding grated ambrosia (stalk) and propolis to boiling in the water wax. 0.5 - 1.0 mm thickness layer of emulsified wax, which can be coated with a brush, rolling press, or a compressor, fosters bees not to gnaw through the base plate from firm wax while forming honeycombs.
    Here is an example how you can make such frame. Wax is to be sterilized during one hour at a temperature of about 120C and pressure of about 1.5 atm. At home, this could be done using a pressure cooker. After this, wax with boiling water is to be poured into a flat vessel in the amount of 2 kg per 1 m2 of the surface. Wax spreads along the water surface and solidifies taking a form of a thin plate. After that, cooled down plates are coated from both sides with molten sterilized and emulsified wax, using a rolling press or a brush.
    I think that the advantage of my method of the is its easiness and affordability. This allows to significantly decrease expenses on acquiring empty honeycombs and do decrease the percentage of the leaving bees during unfavorable years for wintering.

I also attach some pictures of the frame. I would be glad to hear you comments about this method.

Thank you,
    Henadsi.

Attached Files: