A Mitey Formicable Kill

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Berniecal, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

Haven't posted for a while but I recently added "Mite Away" formic acid quick strips to my 3 hives, and was rewarded with enormous numbers of dead mites on the pull-out below the SBB. Photo attached. Zoom in for a treat!
    I had worried for a few weeks about the high mite load, then got spurred into action by the appearance of deformed wing virus, and a lot of dead bees on the landing board. Hopefully the formic will take some of the pressure off the hives. P1030425.jpg

2. Omie

Omie New Member

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

What's the low down on "Mite Away" QS and the effect on Queen and brood ?

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Wow! that's the most I've seen. Thanks for letting us know what worked so well for you.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's a real heavy load of mites. If you've got sealed drone brood, they're probably bursting at the seams with a new generation of mites waiting to reinfest. Make sure your treatment lasts long enough to attend to them when the drones emerge--or remove the drone brood from the hive.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Bernie, good to hear from you.
    So how many mites did you count there?
    And yes, let us know how the Quick Strps work out, I haven't tried them yet.
    Hope everything is good with you. I moved the last of my hives out a couple of weeks ago (you should expand and take up the slack) :wink: