A mystery ?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Dec 11, 2009.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Just came back from checking one of my bee yards and found one hive with the lid, top feeder and super laying in front of the hive (1 deep hive body). The lid had a concrete block on it and it was laying in front of the hive also? The frames were pushed up from the fall but still in the super with honey intact. We had some strong winds the night before but none of the other 14 hives were bothered and their more in the open.The only animal that could have access and large enough to push it over would be a deer and it's to close to the house and isolated for vandals. I don't think a coon could have pushed it over with the concrete block on top. The good news was the bees were still alive after single digit temps. the last two nights,one came out and popped me on the neck as i was putting it back together so i don't have to wonder if they were alive. Any idea what could have done this. Jack

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I've put cinder blocks on my garbage cans and that did not stop the coons. The smell of the syrup alone may have been enough for a hungry coon to make a good attempt.

You don't sleep walk do you? :eek:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A horse, cow, and maybe a deer, will rub on the corner of a hive to scratch. They can knock them over. I put an adult coon in an automobile one night. He tore a hole in the metal floor board and escaped. They are stronger than you think.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The real question is... WHOSE car, and what did he do to you to desrve that?!? :lol:

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I guess i'll have to set my semi live traps :mrgreen: .I have to put up a 4 wire elec. fence around 3 acres of sweetcorn to keep them out (part of my truck patch). Needless to say coons are not my favorit animals and if this turns out to be a coon i'll trap them year round. In this area there are so many that they are dying of distemper and other diseases :thumbsup: , i never shoot a sick one because i know they will spread it to others, and good riddance. It sounds hard hearted, but if you have to put in extra days of hard work because of them you can become hard hearted. Jack

6. rast

rast New Member

The last time something like happened to me it was teenagers.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That's not another version of "Stuff the dead possum in the mailbox" was it? :lol:

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

There are places in this world that are too isolated for vandals? I would love to know where.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

If you tell me EXACTLY where these hives are, I could keep my eye on them for you..... :roll:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I guess i should have said a very unlikely place for vandals. :confused: The hives are 300 yards behind the house in the open, can't be seen from the road but clearly from our house. a deep drainage ditch on the south with a barbwire fence between the hives and the ditch. (even a deer couldn't come that way) Over a 1/4 mile in all directions to a road with open farm land in ever direction for a 1/4 mile. The neighbors have there land posted all around me and i have a dog that barks at anything strange. Not vandal proof but very unlikely and only one hive was bothered out of the fifteen. :thumbsup: Jack

11. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

And where was iddee on the night in question....... :eek:

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A fellow beekeeper that has been to my house named Zane has been to Iddee's home to visit, he say's he's a nice guy,but you never know. :confused: Jack

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

coon huntin'.... Honestly, I couldn't help it if that coon jumped up on a beehive in front of 14 hounds.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, i have a neighbor who has permission to coon hunt on my land and the other neighbors around me. Many a night i've layed i bed and heard his hounds strike a trail and moments later tree.He has one hound with the prettiest ball mouth you ever heard and has put me to sleep listening to him. So that could have been one solution to the mystery. Now if you hunted from your house to mine in one night, and accidently knocked my hive over trying to find a place to set down and rest, then i foregive you. :mrgreen: Jack

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My wife read this and said i should have spelled ball mouth, (bawl mouth) i informed her i meant he had a well rounded smooth voice not a crying hollering voice. She said, anyone who thinks a dog barking and howling half the night is pretty, can't be hooked up right. :confused: Jack

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

and just to think she is still in the bed beside you :lol:

G3

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, I always liked a deep bass voice on a dog, much better than a high pitched squeal. Tell your wife the best music comes from nature, not man made boxes. :thumbsup: :p

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3farms, the picture of a hound by your name is that a blue tick or a plot hound, good looking dog, or is that yours?

Iddee, my wife was a city girl, likes a different kind of music. She won't even eat turnips, but will fix them for me, she says they smell like dead cats when she cooks them. :mrgreen: But she's a keeper. Jack

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a blue, not mine in the least, it was just a random pic in the avatars file. Would like to have one just like him but I really don't have the time to run one. Funny story about a neighbnor that had one when I was little, he would come over to another neighbors house (two old women) and they would feed him their left over table scraps. He would not eat them out of a bowl, they had to be put into a bread bag and tied up, then he would carry them off into the pasture for a picnic. .

G3

20. Walt B

Walt B New Member

After living in a really noisy urban setting I was ready for peace and quiet. Imagine my surprise when I moved here and found the yodeling of the coyotes relaxing! Listen to them for a bit and then off to sleep.

Walt