A neighboring beekeeping club and feeding bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Nov 9, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

They have this ad listed on their website.

Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for top quality 55% food grade high Fructose Corn syrup. This is not syrup that has been cleaned out of some dirty old bakery tanks. This comes directly from the manufacturer in stainless steel tanks, and then stored in heated stainless steel tanks, until you pick it up in your own containers. This is the most convenient and economical way of feeding your bees. It is also a much better way to feed as the bees don’t have to convert it to fructose, as they have to do with sugar. The bottom line is, it’s CHEAP. 26 cents per lb, In your own containers. Try a jug, you won’t go back to sugar

I don't know any particulars on how you prepare it for the bees or anything else except what's posted here. I'd like your opinion on feeding "55% food grade high fructose corn syrup" to bees.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some folks thin the stuff a bit and some do not prior to feeding.

a snip...
    It is also a much better way to feed as the bees don’t have to convert it to fructose, as they have to do with sugar.

tecumseh;
    this is marketing hype unsupported by research. matter of fact good research (repeated numerous time) would inform you that this is in fact not true. high fructose corn syrup has been shown to be hard on a honey bees gut. if HFCS is formulated incorrectly it can be lethal to a honey bee.

if you wanted to compare plain sugar to high fructose corn syrup on cost alone you would need to remove the water to quantify how much you were paying for the solid ingredients. at 26 cents I would guess it is somewhat cheaper. as a feed it's quality is significantly less that plain table sugar.

3. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I needed to know.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

tec brings up a good point in comparing the price of sugar to that of corn syrup. Last I looked around here sugar was 60 cents a lb. once mixed to the 2:1 or 1:1 mixture needed. The more water mixed with the sugar the more the price per pound drops

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

In my opinion, most of the HFCS hype was based on one or two batches of bad (burnt or overheated) syrup a few years back.

Then there is the whole attitude towards HFCS, making negative connotations, suggestions, and attitudes, a constant reason to bash HFCS. Heck, last year, a major bee meeting on the east coast was even marketed their event as "HFCS Free" as a selling point of the event. Like I really need some tree hugger looking at me cause I cracked open a can of coke.

I don't think it matters to the bees. HFCS was fed, (and continues to be fed), by many beekeepers. And it seems everytime some problem comes along, like CCD, many focus on the fact that it must be due to HFCS. I group HFCS in the same group as cell phone towers, earth's gravity or energy lines, and other nonsense.

While I have not fed HFCS anytime lately (other than what is in fondant), if a good deal would come along, I would not hesitate to get some, especially if it was cheap.

The marketing in the original post, clearly addresses some of the concerns of "bad" HFCS of years past. Quality HFCS to me has not been shown to be a danger to bees. Although there is a group out there, that feels it would be better to let bees die, rather than have them be fed HFCS. Many no doubt attended the "HFCS free" conference. But it seems there is a group out there in any catagory you could think of.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

let me just add Bama that i would have no problem in feeding hfcs if I was set up to do so, but for me a lot of individual concerns falls into such questions and each of these need to be considered before I use a product. price is one concern but not the end all (<as someone who has worn an economist hat don't tell anyone you heard this here :oops: ) in my deliberations.

clinical trial after clinical trial has show that the life of an individual bee is impacted by what it eats. inevitable plain table sugar gets the prize for keeping bees (caged mind you) alive the longest, followed by honey and then coming in at a distant third hfcs. no hype here just plain old fashion good research. a lot of bee keepers (of the very much commercial kind) think hfcs is more difficult for a bee to digest than plain sugar syrup.

honey, table sugar or hfcs will keep bees alive, but don't expect the same performance out of all.