a new beeks beginning

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I set up a gentleman that moved back here from the moutains of Peru, he lived there for 6 years and moved back and wanted to beekeep again here, he had 3 hives there for a few years and him and his wife loved doing it, I picked 2 of my better and they are now rooftop beekeeping.

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

cool deal its a great feeling helping out. :thumbsup:

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Excellent job, reuniting a beek with bees again, again good job

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wow..............Wow.................Wowee!
    Look at the pattern on that frame! When you said "2 of my better", you weren't foolin!
    2 x :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

As Perry said great brood pattern, when that frame emerges the bees from it will cover close to 3 frames in the brood box. If I lived in you area and there wasn't a no import bee border between us I would be contacting you to buy queens from. To my fellow beekeepers, You don't see frames filled with brood to that extent very often with that few mist cells.
    He will be pleased with then providing he can keep them under control and keep them from swarming.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Good Karma.

7. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Nice frame. :thumbsup: Very cool thing to do!:thumbsup:

8. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I hope my hives look like this one day!

Please could you tell me when one uses the box with the G on it, and how its used?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The box with the G on it is referred to as a "nuc" box, for holding.......a nuc. A nuc, or nucleus colony is a small 4 or 5 frame colony that is often made up and sold to help new folks get started in beekeeping, or to replace dead-out hives.
    The one in the picture looks like a 5 frame nuc (from Zookeep) and was probably used by the gentleman in the picture to hive the five frames of bees and brood (and laying queen) into the new hives he had.
    Nuc boxes are also great to carry your tools in, sit on, catch swarms in, you can make up a nuc when catching a hive preparing to swarm, etc. They are an invaluable tool in a beekeepers realm.

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

as Perry said, my best use is just pulling 2 frames of brood and 3 food from a very strong hive and let the nuc raise a queen, I have 5 more nucs right now in different stages.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow is right, extemely cool zookeep! :coolphotos:

12. Kevin

Kevin New Member

What would be the difference just putting your small swarm into a normal brood box? i.e. 10 frame Langstroth.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you gave him hives and didn't sign him up in the forum, you only did half a job. :lol:
    The half that you told us about looks real good. :thumbsup:

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

EF I did tell him about the forum and Kevin the idea with the smaller box is the bees dont have to try to defend such a large space and you are not tying up a 10 frame box with (for me) a small group of bees that may or may not make a queen.

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Agreed, nice brood pattern! What is growing in those pots flanking the hives?

16. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Looks like Okra or maybe some young trees. Just a guess.

17. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I have a hive that came from a 9lb swarm that has a queen that lays a brood pattern like that, 2 mediums with brood corner to corner of all 20 frames but they damn near starved despite having tons of bees this summer. Not sure if it was due to the drought or if they're just lazy. The other hives didn't have any troubles finding enough nectar to not starve. I'm curious to see what happens come spring.