A new look for a new year

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

We have some exciting new changes for the new year that are starting today so I thought I would start a thread for input and bug reports. If you find something not working let me know here or send a PM.

Why the changes you may be asking, well in a nutshell it's for scalability. With the new bar on the left side of the screen we can add additional information that will benefit newer beekeepers. Rather than adding a post that may drift down as new posts are added we'll now be able to add new pages of information in the left menu that will always be available.

There are a few of you that are using the blog feature of the forum (great posts Larus) but very few members know they are there, very soon the latest post from the blogs will be in the left bar so everyone will be able to see and read them if they wish. This is still coming but should be here soon.

I hope everyone likes the changes...post your thoughts here :)

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I like what I see. User menu is readily available, Random member is a nice touch. Well done
    Perry

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Maybe it's just me...logged in, tried to respond to "Happy New Year" and had to log in again. Responded to "happy new year" and wanted to preview, and had to log in again. After the last log in, everything was blank.

That didn't happen with this thread. Everything here worked as it should.

Walt

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Try it again. I was in the admin page making changes. Maybe I caused it without knowing it. Try it and let me know what happens.

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks PerryBee

Walt, you might also try clearing the board cookies, there is a link for that right under the chat box on the front page. Let me know if you still have trouble.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Works fine. Thanks guys.

Particularly like the "View new posts" menu item.

Walt

7. Omie

Omie New Member

I like the new forum look and organization a lot. :)

One little thought- is there any way to cut back on the number of 'sticky' threads? There are so many stickies, that combined with the large header info banners, that I have to keep scrolling down a whole page now wherever i go here just to see the regular threads. The scrolling gets kind of old when going back and forth from forum to forum. Just a thought, no biggie. :)

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Would you go through a few of the forums and see if you can determine how many stickies you can live with. Then I will try to reduce them to that number, if feasible. Maybe we can get most of them down for you, if not all. I'll try.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

I guess a lot of the space use issue is in the 'General Forum' main page, here:
    viewforum.php?f=11

Here's some ideas just to toss around- (I don't want to get anyone ruffled) but this could perhaps streamline the look there and make things pleasanter to navigate:

>the Boyscout merit badge thread could really be a sticky in the "Bee News" forum and thus free up a lot of space for the more active topics. I mean I agree it's a very worthy cause ...but does it need to be up front and center with 1 1/2 inches of screen space across the top every time any member comes to the general forum main area?
    >the Cooking with Honey sticky could go in the "Your Favorite Recipes" forum as a sticky.
    >the"One of the best Bee Sites", "Beekeeping fun", "How to make queens", "Oldtime beeekeeoing", and "Walt Wright" might ALL do well by placing them in ONE new forum perhaps called "Handy/Useful BK sites to know about" or something. They could all remain there as stickies so they wouldn't sink down in the threads. You could maybe find a few stickies in the other forums that could be logically placed in a "Useful BK sites" forum as well, like for instance the epi pen sticky.
    >"Bee Clubs" could maybe go as a sticky into the "Upcoming Meetings" forum, which might be renamed "Bee Clubs & Upcoming meetings".
    and finally
    >the sticky "Removals"- could that not be combined with the Cutouts/trapouts forum somehow, the same as combining the bee clubs/upcomingmeetings subjects ?
    >the Personal websites might possibly be combined as a sticky in a Getting to know You or introductions Forum.

these are all just thoughts, no problem if you don't care to use any of them. :) It's a great site just as it is too!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK, my head's spinning. I don't know what I've done and not done. Check it out and make a new suggestion post.

I will have to discuss a new research forum with Charles and the other mods before adding it.

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Idee....wow! that was some fast action! No wonder your head is spinnning.
    I have to get back to work now though, but I will respond and look at stuff again tomorrow if you like.
    What I can say right now though is that the general forums main page looks SLEEK and FAST now- THANKS!
    I hope nobody gets mad about their fave threads going someplace else though.
    But my oh my it's easy to get right to the active threads now on that page- I can only speak for myself but i think it's a big improvement and thank you so much.
    If others hate it then put it all back like it was before! =8-o

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The mods and admin are just tools in a forum. The members make the forum. We will try our best to make it the way members want, as long as they will tell us what needs to be done.

Thanks for the feed back.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think it looks much better, kind of a spring cleaning if you will.

Good call Omie and good fast work Iddee.

14. Charles

Charles New Member

Good call Omie, and nice job Iddee. The number of stickies in that forum was starting to get to me too. Most of them were really not needed.

I second what Iddee say's about the members making the forum, any and all suggestions are taken into consideration.

15. Omie

Omie New Member

Thinking you might want to make the "cooking with Honey " thread a sticky in the Favorite Recipes forum, otherwise it's going to disappear after a while. I'm not sure if you intended to do that or if you decided something else- either way fine with me. :)
    Thanks again, the general forum is so much easier to look at now!

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know if Charles beat me to it or what, but it is a sticky.