A new record for me shipping honey.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bamabww, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

A friend of mine has a son in the military stationed in Afghanistan. He told his dad there is an extreme shortage of sugar / sweeteners in the area and wanted his dad to send him some of my honey. I gave him 4 quarts and they are on their way to Afghanistan as I type this. The farthest I'd ever shipped honey before was from Alabama to Michigan. So this is a new world record for me.

Guess how much shipping 4 quarts of honey to Afghanistan costs?

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Thank you for supporting our troops! I hope you sent it to an APO. That should be a popular 'care package' when it arrives. :)

3. Ray

Ray Member

It ought ta be free! The US Mail should ship anything that can be loaded with a fork-lift, or less, to a Service Member in a war zone. ABSOLUTELY, @#%&*, FREE !!

[​IMG]‚ÄčThank you for your kind donation![​IMG]

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Wouldn't you ship it to a base in the US and the army transport it to the troops? They are stationed to a bass in the us and on deployment in other countries.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Apis, it would never make it past the guys on the US base. It would be "lost" in the first base supply house.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

Apis, the American Post Office Overseas (APO) is a pretty direct route to the soldier. :)

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Shipping time is fantastic. 7 days to get there at a cost of $136.00 postage. We put the Styrofoam peanuts about 2 inches deep in the bottom of the box, wrapped each jar in bubble wrap and then in cardboard. Taped the cardboard securely and separated them in the box, sitting them on top of the peanuts. Then a cardboard divider was placed between each jar and more peanuts to fill the box. Uncle Sam is taking care of the rest.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Packaging for honey=$2.00
    4 qts Honey=$40.00 (just guessing)
    Shipping=$136.00
    Look on soldier's face stationed in Afghanistan=Priceless

Well done Wayne!

9. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I'm confused, why did it cost $136 to ship 4 quart jars of honey to a military base overseas? I've been shipping all over the world for years for my little business, and we have customers stationed everywhere......I can send a large flat rate Priority box to a base in Iraq or Afghanistan for $15 and it gets there in about 12 days......and you can fit a lot more than 4 quart jars in there.....I mean, you pay domestic mail prices to ship APO/FPO, etc....There must be something I'm missing there........