A new thought about bees

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Slowmodem, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I've been thinking the past couple of days about next year and if the bees will make it through the winter, do I want more hives next year, etc.

Since I work for a gov agency, this is the CFC time of year. That's where you can give to charities and it will come out of your check.

I live in one of the smallest and poorest counties in the state. There aren't many charities here. They are mostly in the surrounding counties.

I have a lot to be thankful for. And I feel like I haven't given back as I should during my life.

What I've decided to do (I haven't worked out all the details, it's just an idea right now) is to give a percentage of the proceeds from honey sales somewhere in this county. I think I will have to call the county government's office and I'm sure they know any agencies, organizations, etc.

I was thinking of calling it Honey for Help. I'm sure there are people that need assistance, and I'm sure there are some groups that try to do that. I'm going to get involved somehow next year. I've got several months to think about it and plan it out.

I'm hoping it works out. Any supportive thoughts will certainly be appreciated.

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Honey For Help!

A good thought Greg :)

Why not give to CFC and designate a local charity?

I've spent a lot of time with CFC. Starting as the rep for my unit, then my Squadron, then my Regional Medical Center, then for Brooks AFB, TX and finally as a loned executive to the San Antonio, TX campaign. In total, I raised about $600,000 in those campaigns.

It feels good to have been involved so deeply. A good idea for sure, godspeed Greg. :)

3. Omie

Omie New Member

What I do is volunteer at my local silent food pantry for about 6 hours a month. Our pantry is located in the basement of the village courthouse. Sometimes I bring extra produce from my garden too.
    You could give a portion of your honey sales money to your local food pantry and help feed the people of your own community who are having a real hard time right now.
    Because food pantries can buy in bulk from larger area food banks with special pricing, the food pantry administrators can usually buy more food per dollar than you or I can. For example if you give the pantry $12 they might be able to buy 12 cans of an item from the food bank, whereas you might only able to buy 9 cans of the same thing for $12 at your local supermarket on sale. So giving the food pantry actual money goes further than giving them food items...though both kinds of donations are always welcome.

What I like about working at my village's pantry is that it's a person-to-person thing...I can see where my donations goes, I even get to know more people in my community. All types of people come in- the elderly, young working parents with children, disabled people, veterans, and even some professionals who got laid off months ago and are now having real trouble finding another job. Every single item is so much appreciated, and it all stays within the community- people helping people directly.

So because I have had such a good experience in working at my local food pantry for the past several years, I just had to put in a word for local food pantries- almost every area has one, sometimes they are not much publicized and you have to call your local county clerk or church to find out where they located and how to donate.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I do. I always give to united way of mcminn and meigs county. the problem is that none of the agencies are in meigs county. everyone has to go to mcminn.

but I am going to try to do more for my county. :)

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I give in ways I can't write off on my taxes. My time, my expertise, a bit of this and a bit of that, be it food or a plant, or help with a pond for a retired person. Reckon what comes around goes around. Seems to be true so far.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Greg, I also live in a poor county near a poor city, and I second Omie's post.

When I first moved here I couldn't find any local charities. Then I (my wife) found the local "food pantry". In addition to the food pantry, they also sell items and provide clothing and the like for those in need. We donate money, items, and produce, and it really helps...not just those who receive, but also those who give.

Walt