A New Weed Killer Discovered?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Jun 22, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I think I found a new Weed Killer. My wife accidently bought sugar made from Michigan Beet Sugar instead of Cane Sugar and the Bees wouldn't touch it so I dumped it in the Clover Food Plot. Now NOTHING will grow there! So I am assuming Michigan Sugar has a lot of Roundup Weed Killer in the Final Product From the Roundup Ready Sugar Beets...What do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Wouldn't surprise me. I recently read an article where a lady bought a load of manure from a local farmer for her organic garden. You guessed it, the animals had been fed on GMO grains, the manure killed her garden.
    Probably a good thing your bees wouldn't touch it.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

definitely a good thing your bees wouldn't touch it.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Had another theory brought to my attention. Deer like sugar and maybe they are licking it to get the sugar and keeping it bare. Looks like I need to do a test with my trail cam and some Michigan Beet Sugar...

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

don, deer like sugar beets......
    trail cam.....:grin:

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

With a basic food product like sugar, I would have expected it to have been thoroughly tested by Quality Control.

I would think about the equipment and circumstances when you tried to feed the sugar syrup to your bees.

Have you thought about contacting the sugar producer ? You could have men in paper suits taking samples from your clover patch or even a tanker load of sugar on your doorstep.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I really am not joking...why isn't anything growing in that spot? It still looks the same today everything dead in that spot 2 months after I dumped it...

9. Gypsi

Trail cam or call the mfgr. They sell this stuff to humans too

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe that "Michigan beet sugar" was smuggled in from China and re-labeled to make you think it came from Michigan. If they can do it with "honey" they can do it with "sugar". :frustrated:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a gunsmith snip..
    I recently read an article where a lady bought a load of manure from a local farmer for her organic garden.

tecumseh..
    recently one of the member of our farmer's market who has a phd in crop science and maintains a green house for rearing tomatoes showed me a little experiment he was doing with some potting soil and several containers (which really look more like plastic tubes than container). in one set of containers he was using manure from horse people who purchased high quality hay where the hay field had been treated with some form of week killer (not sure of the brand). the plants in these would germinate and grow until they got to be about 2 foot tall and then the very tip ends of the plants would begin turning yellow and then brown and then the plant would pretty much become permanently stunted. so it seems even after being run thru the digestive system of a horse these kinds of products are not necessarily inert.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Fresh Maneur will kill a garden anyway. It needs to sit a while and even then only mixed in small portions and not heaped on it. Just because a little of it is good doesn't mean that a lot is better, like my neighbor who killed his entire lawn by putting 50lbs of high nitrogen fertilizer on his lawn that isn't any bigger than 40'x40'... burnt the lawn right up and he says to me, must need more fertilizer.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Maybe michigan beet sugar is really salt? LOL

14. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

It appears to have just sterilized that spot. I've never poured sugar or sugar water on the ground, so I am surprised. If it was deer, I would think the ground would be torn up. At certain times, our deer come to salt blocks, and they leave the ground very disturbed. Clover is a tender plant, and the sugar my have coated the leaves and cut of photosynthesis, or some such thing. Obviously, I'm not a botanist.

15. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Want to wager a fiver that the other source sugar (in the same concentration) would do exactly the same thing. My devious mind suspects that something in the process tainted the syrup to the bees taste; perhaps the result would have been the same with cane sugar. That one has been hashed and rehashed a few times.

16. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I dumped Cane Sugar Syrup on the ground a few feet from there and am waiting...So far just some brown vegetation and nothing like the pic above...and it's still exactly like that pic above as of yesterday...

Just bought 2 new Trail Cameras so One of the old ones I am gonna mix up Cane and Beet Sugar and dump them in front of the trail camera and post any pics that animals make...and then Before/After pics once it works it magic...

17. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Was there any vinegar in the syrup?

18. Gypsi

hmm. Keep us posted. I have some johnson grass with difficult roots to get to...