A nice small problem

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

My neighbors Uncle died, and she is gave me 3 hives that he had.
    Also, I could leave them their till next spring.

I look at them this morning and they are all 3 double deeps and look good .

NOW my problem;
    All my hives are medium's or "Illinois", what will be the EASIEST way to transfer them to mediums.

My thoughts are, put in a medium hive box, a medium frame of brood, one of honey and drawn frames, then brush, shake { I don't like to shake } as many bees and Queen possible into the medium then place a Queen excluder on top of the medium, then place the deep on top. I also have some pieces of plastic Queen excluder which I would place across the hive entrance for a few days till they settled down.

Looking for a better way, {easier} :beg:

Thanks
    Murrell

2. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

You could always do the cutout method. Take the deep frames and cut them to medium frame inner diameter size. rubber band them in and within a week, the rubberbands will be cut by the bees, drug out and the comb attached to the frames.

Or, you could put 2 mediums on top of the deeps. as the bees move up, remove the bottom deep. Add another medium and when they move out of the bottom remaining deep, remove it. They will be in the mediums.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would just wait until spring and take the three double deep hives and split them into six single deeps, start adding you mediums for them to build into. Fall of 2011 be sure the deeps are on the bottom of the stack, come spring of 2012 hopefully the deeps will be cleaned out (bees moved to the top of the hive for the winter) and you can remove the deeps and be in all mediums. May take a little while but probably the easiest to my thinking. I would not do anything to them this late in the game myself.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Do nothing until spring. Then ask and the answers will be fresh. It will also be easier, since some deeps are likely to be empty.

PS. Have excluders ready.

5. scdw43

scdw43 New Member

Check the amount of feed on them if they are good wait till spring. In the spring you will have several options. If you try to split them up now they may not have enough time to establish their brood nest for winter and you could lose them all.