A novel idea?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Slowmodem, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The guy I got my bees from and I were talking the other day and he started talking about swarms. What he had thought of was sticking a broom handle in the ground with the broom sticking up. Then he said he was going to wrap the broom with burlap and wet it with lemongrass oil. He wondered if that might work. I told him I'd run it up the pole here at the forum, because that's where all the brainpower is! I thin he was thinking mainly in case one of his hives swarmed, not necessarily a feral swarm.

Has anyone tried this? What do y'all think of the chance of success.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whether it worked or not would be immaterial to me. If I am going to try to attract a swarm, I'm going to give them a box with frames and at least some drawn comb. Then I can just move them to the hive stand and I'm done. Using buckets, no-frame boxes, etc. and having to re-house them later is useless work. I'm too lazy for that. Attracting a swarm that I know will send out scouts and move on if I don't get there quick is, in my opinion, counter productive.

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I think I'm with Iddee on this one. I would also think that as expensive as lemongrass oil is, that your not going to put a lot on the burlap and what you do put on the burlap is going to evaporate in the wind rather quickly OR wash away in rain - not like on a piece of cloth inside a rolled up baggy inside a nuc box that will hold its odor for a while. JMHO

4. DaggaBoom

DaggaBoom New Member

If I understand slowmodem correctly he wants the swarm to settle on the broom after they leave the hive and search for the new void that they want to occupy. So will they settle on the broom or rather on the high branches of a nearby tree?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If that is the goal, you could just cage a queen and hang the cage on a small, low limb. Shake a couple pound of her bees out and create an artificial swarm. Leave for an hour and return her to the hive.

It is well known that other swarms can smell where a swarm has landed and will land in the same area.

6. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

The LGO is to simulate the scent they put off when they find a home. Sprinkling it on a broom with burlap wrapped around it would be saying that here is your new home in the open. When they swarm and cluster they are, from what I understand, clustering around the queen pheromones. So Iddee's suggestion of capturing a queen and creating and artificial swarm would work better than the LGO on a broom. Just my opinion though.:smile:

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Y'all are probably right. I think his thought was to not have to chase the swarm, and to try to get them to stay close.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I tried something similar --- it didn't work. Swarms in my apiary often end up in a tree hanging over the river and it's a high bank. After seeing one of the pics in "Honeybee Democracy", I tried to get the swarm to a handier height. I was after any swarms that came to the apiary, not to entice down a swarm already in the river tree.

I set up a dummy board on which the bees had built a layer of comb. I set this up in a tree, in the apiary, at head height, several feet away from the hives and the river tree. I had no joy -- no takers but then again I can't remember any swarms hanging in the river tree. I am back to bait hives this year. :grin: