a Crofter snip.. Actually everything did seem in order but the spaced out 9 frames have a lot of burr comb between the top bars and that makes real bee grabbers when sliding them back together. That is not going to be easy to clean up to get proper spacing as there is some drone brood in it. A quick look showed no apparent queen cells but the frames are getting quite full so we put another deep of wax foundation on top of each one along with a frame feeder and closed back up. tecumseh: I noticed this on the introduction section and really looked at it in two ways and though perhaps I (well actually it was Iddee's suggestion) should make a comment. first view... starting from foundation and frames you always place the defined number of frames (ie 10 frames in a 10 frame box) to get the comb 'pulled' or 'drawn' to the proper width to insure bee space. later (once the comb is drawn) you then reduce the number of frames. if you did try to start 9 frames in a 10 frame box you are quite likely to get brace and cross comb everywhere. second view... it is quite common over the season for bees to build a bit of burr comb between the top bar area of the hive. most old fashion beekeepers would leave this alone during the late fall and winter months and then scrape it off at the first manipulation in the spring. I would typically remove one frame at a time, turn the frame on its side and use the flat side of my hive tool to remove this bit of wax and then reverse and do the same on the opposing side. generally you only need to do this once during the season but removing it makes the next set of inspection easier and it also likely somewhat improves ventilation up the stack during the summer (which is why you would not remove it during the fall or winter). in some commercial operation not doing this small task would get you some hard looks.