A trapout resulting in a new queen

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by bamabww, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've watched Iddee's video and read the threads he posted and found them very interesting and helpful. One question: once I find a new queen cell, what would be wrong with taking that group of bees with a new queen cell home and putting another box to continue the trapout and just continue that process until all the bees are trapped out?

The obvious is I'd (might) have 3 or 4 very small hives to help get started but is there another reason not to do this?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My maximum, so far, is 4 hives and a nuc from one house. It works fine.

I remove a hive when the box is full of bees, then start another.

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

Make sure to take lots of pics.

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I plan to, hopefully starting in a couple of weeks.

5. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I did that late last summer. got two 5 frame nucs, weak ones, from the trap out. both produced new queens. nucs so far are doing just fine. I had to have a full size hive make a med nuc full of honey for each and have added 5 lbs of sugar to each over the winter. got to take a look yesterday. both nucs look strong and are climbing up on the sugar. one has used about half. the second not quite that much.

The hogan trap is still attached to that house and I expect to get more nucs yet from it this spring. I need to go check on it. We started assembly of two 10 frame deep boxes yesterday because starting tomorrow or Saturday we will do our first cut out. a fairly large as we can tell colony that is established in a pillar of a front porch. From what I have seen ehese are a smallish very yellow bee. I am not that good at identification yet.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Most important.........don't forget to take pictures! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Perry, I got a call from a friend of the homeowner. He asked if he can film us doing the cut out. I told him I didn't have a problem but that my first priority is the bees so he woudl have to be ready to film when the weather hits the temps I need it to be. I think it will come together well for tomorrow afternoon. I will see if I can get a copy of the video.