A whole Apiary in one building. I'm tired.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yankee11, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Started Sunday going to rescue a colony from a Silo/Barn that was going to torn down Starting yesterday.

Got onsite Sunday, removed a sheet of plywood to take a look and guess what. There were 2 colonies side by side. Separated by a 2x6 divider. The left colony had a entrance on the back side. The right colony had a entrance on this side. If you look at bottom of picture there was a 3rd colony down there. There was no bee in it just some hone and old comb.

First Day Bees.jpg 20130324_144832.jpeg 20130324_144727.jpeg

So yesterday I get another phone call. They started on the building and they found another colony. Kinda last thing I wanted hear yesterday, but yes we went and got them. They delayed the demolition another day. This one didn't have the divider in this section. This was all one colony.

2013-03-25_17-19-04_955.jpg 2013-03-25_17-18-55_24.jpg

The weather was cool. I just hope we got at least one queen or some eggs and larva survived. These were very nice bees. They had lots of honey. Looks like we got about 7 gallons of honey.

Temps were in the middle 40's we wprked as fast as we could to get brood and bees in boxes to cover.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

real nice job,love the pics:thumbsup:

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just got a call. They found another one. And they say they see more plywood with stains. I am guess the stains are coming through the plywood from the colonies.

They said they could wait a few more days to tear it down. Temps start warming today and tomorrow. I am going to try and get a day off from work today or tomorrow And go up early and get some more.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Looks like 5 to 6 more colonies. Gonna be a long bee day tomorrow.

5. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

That is so neat, thanks for the pics!

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fantastic photos! :coolphotos:

I really like the first 2 pics with all that brood.
    In for a penny, in for a pound! :thumbsup: :lol:

7. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Wow that's awesome. 7 gallons and still more to get. Are you putting all of these colonies in seperate hives? Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Yes, going to put them all in seperate hives.

Once we get them home tomorrow I'm gonna let them settle for several days. If I didn't get the queens and they are not drawing out queen cells then I will determine what to do with them. Combine, add a frame of brood etc.

I don't know about the 3 we have done already as we had to work so fast and get the brood and bees so quickly because of the temps.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 60. Better than windy and 45.

If there are indeed 6 more tomorrow, that will be 9 colonies in one building. That's crazy.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a lotta bees! Congratulations.:smile:

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

Nice job Yankee looks like you have some survivor stock.Anny idea how long they have been in there?

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Hi jb,

Love your videos by the way. Learn a lot by watching them. To bad your not here today huh? Could make 5 or 6 videos in one day.

Don't know how long but the these things are huge and the comb is very black. The folks that called me mentioned 10-12 years. They are small bees also. I am thinking most of these colonies are probably related, they have probably swarmed from
    one wall section right into another.

I'll take some more pictures of the new ones today.

12. jb63

jb63 New Member

Keep up the good work.How has their temperament been so far?Easy to work with?

13. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Petty good considering.

We got 5 more colonies yesterday. Not small colonies either. All five were huge. That makes 8 colonies out of one building.
    I've never read about anything like this. I'm guess between 200 and 300 pounds of capped honey.

Don't know how many queens we got. But I did cage 2. Will have to look into hives this weekend and see if we got the others.
    We can take some eggs form the 2 queens we got if we didn't get the others. I will post pictures of the other hives later.

Yesterday was a long day. Started at 10am finished at 8:30 last night.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Absolutely awesome! I wish I lived closer, I would have liked to help.

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Nice photos thanks for sharing were you using a bee vacuum or moving the bees on the comb and shaking the bees into the hive?

16. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Absolutely amazing. You beekeepers down south have a great resource. Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to more. Tom

17. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Can't wait for the update and pics on this. How awesome!