ABC and XYZ book

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 11Nick, Jun 6, 2012.

1. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

I am going to the library today to check this book out for the third time in 6 months. The copy that I get is a pretty new version. Has anyone had the opportunity to see both a newer version and an older version of this book? Forgive me for sounding cheap, but I can buy a used, older version online for $10 - $15, but a new(er) book is $30 or $40. I don't want to buy one of the older published books if it is very different from the newer publication dates. (And maybe they are exactly the same between the covers, just having different publication dates????)
    Many thanks.
    Have a wonderful day. It is beautiful here!!!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You will not be disappointed with either, or both. The older one has nothing about SHB, varroa, tracheal, screen bottoms, etc. that came here after it was published. Other than that,beekeeping hasn't changed a lot since L.L.Langstroth discovered the beespace and made the removable frame.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have a copy of the older version and Iddee is correct. If I had a do over, I would go with the new however the old version does look pretty cool! :cool:

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have an older one, like iddee said you will not be disappointed. btw ABC & XYZ is one 'peice of keeping equipment' i would shell out the $30 or $40 for, then you won't have to go to the library and you can mark it up to your hearts content:grin:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have an older one, probably written back when Iddee and tec were teenagers.
    It has a lot of stuff like:
    "Yea , tho thou doest keepeth bees", and "the queen doth returneth from whenst she came".
    :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I have an older one, probably written back when Iddee and tec teenagers.""

Is it written on papyrus?? If not, it's newer than that.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got several older additions in my bee book collection and the newest addition. I like the newest since it has lots of colored pictures to look at. As for the printing couldnt tell you the difference I havent got past looking at the pretty new color pictures:thumbsup::grin:

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

riverrat:
    "I got several older additions in my bee book collection and the newest addition. I like the newest since it has lots of colored pictures to look at. As for the printing couldnt tell you the difference I havent got past looking at the pretty new color pictures."

thanks for your post riverrat, i was considering buying the new addition to add to my collection.....now i will :grin:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    You will not be disappointed with either, or both. The older one has nothing about SHB, varroa, tracheal, screen bottoms, etc.

tecumseh:
    uh huh... but do you really want to know about those things anyway?

another snip...
    Is it written on papyrus??

tecumseh:
    you mean clay tablets.

ps... my old addition dates back to the time when I was about 18 years old and I still enjoy the somewhat stilted and very dated language in which it was written. I likely have read it cover to cover half a dozen times. I still on occasion read some small passage to my wife and she says the language really convey the admiration and love the writer(s) had for honeybees.