Abraço from Brasil

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ORoedel, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

Olá, I´m Oliver na german beekeeper, living since 2002 in Brazil. I started in 2004 with beekeeping, and had more than 100 hives of african bees (don´t exist africanized bees, the bees here are near 100% pure scutelata). Studied, observed a lot and restarted beekeeping in 2012 with european bees (ligustica). Cause I realized 99% we learn, read and hear from govern, universities and brazilian "beekeeping" experts are just lies. By the way, it wasn´t an accident or an error of the assistant of Mr. Kerr that caused the africanisation, Kerr distributed hundreds of african queens to beekeepers in all brasil. And he knows very well about the "advantage" of this kind of prague!
    Today I try to expand my small apiary to a economic interesting number, what´s hard, cause of african bee prague, native bee atacks (limão, irapuã...) and ants... but this italian line (NAVEIRO from argentina) is well resistant against african usurpation.
    I live 70km far from São Paulo, in an organic and Family agriculture área, which was atlantic forest, but totally cut down until 1950. The flora we have today is a poor (in nectar, fruits, nuts) primary forest, and I believe never will become an atlantic forest cause of weekend house construction and agriculture.
    I´m a member of a small group of european beekeepers, we have a fórum too, where we share ideas and knowledge from all the world. Our hope is to reactivate beekeeping in brazil, which dies in 1957. Today exist only "bears" who rob the honey of the african bees once a year.
    God bless you all!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello Oliver :hi:
    Glad you found us here. We are a friendly bunch so please feel free to hang around if you so wish.
    It sounds like you have some very interesting ideas regarding keeping bees (European) where you live. I look forward to hearing and learning more. :thumbsup:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy Oliver and welcome aboard.

At this particular location we are on the very edge of the boundary between the africanized zone to the south/southwest and european bees to the north and east. Very fortunate for us we have a really cold winter about once every three years and this has seem to have limited the expansion of the africanized honey bee. Without a doubt (at least as reported to me by commercial beekeepers) there is a significant problem in the dryer areas of southwestern Texas.

of course the history of the introduction of non native species can get all twisted around and often time turned up on it's head.... especially when such introduction goes horrible wrong. not so surprisingly 'the blame' get tossed on some underling to save face for el jeffe. rumor has it that we had a group of scientific beekeeper here who also distributed scut genetics around the country just a bit before the time it was recognized that this represented no improvement in genetics or temperament. it was also rumored that some scut stock did escape (or was possible released) from at least one research station. I seem to recall it was Steve Tabor who actively distributed scut stock in some areas of the US <I also seem to recall that Mr Tabor participated in an experiment in Brazil where by scut hives were relocated (moved back and forth) from location with altitude and low humidity to lowlands with high humidity and he at least seem to have though that this dramatically affected their disposition.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Oliver, glad you found us, we all can learn something from one another in one part of the world to other. Enjoy your stay.

kebee

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

a warm WELCOME oliver!
    :wave:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I always feel good when I see a new member from another country. It enforces our title of "international beekeeping community" and I have learned much about beekeeping around the world from them.

Thanks for coming.I hope you like it here enough to stay

8. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

Thanks guys for virtual hugs!
    Scutellata is my "hobby" or better finding and transmitting the truth about this prague.
    I heard Lusby is keeping scutellata too!? Don´t know this is true. But sure it´s a myth the scutellata is resistant against varroa and vírus/bactaries. True is: if she detect a problem she left the hive. It´s her way to survive. Also the creation of dozens of swarms (usurpador) to invade existing hives and kill the queens.
    In Brazil they say this kind of swarm doesn´t exist... So I´m killing phantoms all the days...
    Hope I can help with some informations and find some good ideas for our 3. world beekeeping. Cause of the resistance of scutellata versus everything, the normal beekeeper doens´t control pests and deseases. So we introduced the mesh floor boards, oxalic/formic acid and so on... But we need to do everything by hand, cause the industry doesn´t offer equipment for modern/real beekeeping.

Abraço (hug)

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

ORoedel:
    Boa Vinda. You have found the friendliest bee forum around.
    We are looking forward to learning about beekeeping in South America.
    We truly are becoming an international forum.

10. ORoedel

ORoedel New Member

Brigado Gunsmith! Hope my english isn´t to worse, but here I have no chance to train it.

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Your English is just fine. :thumbsup:
    Some of us (not mentioning any names :grin:) don't speak (or type) our language too well.

12. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Welcome. Looking forward to your participation. Thanks for the blessing.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome oliver,from the shoe me state. Jack

14. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ed Sullivan used to say, "We have a really big shoe tonight!" (or that's what it sounded like to me)

15. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Welcome to the forum.

16. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

18. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome Oliver.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member