Adam C. and PerryBee - 15 minutes of fame.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow perry, EXCELLENT!!!!

thanks for sharing that article, very, very cool :yahoo: and......:clap:

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Great article Perry. It's good to see a published article where the property owner has agreed to save the bees rather than kill them.:thumbsup:
    Jim

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Great article Perry and Adam!

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

ATTA BOY GUYS!!!!! :thumbsup::clapping::yahoo::drinks:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Whoot whoot! Very good guys! Thanks for sharing Perry...:smile:

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I tweeted and facebooked the article - so maybe we'll get you the full fame you deserve! That's really HIGH up!

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Congrats To both of you.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

That's some "live action" right there!

10. tommyt

tommyt New Member

Great article congrats
    photo_2172636_resize_article.jpg
    Save you all the Click
    By Wendy Elliott
    welliott@kingscountynews.ca
    Perry Brandt of Brandt's Bees relishes a job that that is not for the faint of heart.
    He climbed scaffolding three stories high last week to save a colony of wild bees.
    The bees were the second colony that located in the roofline of a 150-year-old home on the outskirts of Wolfville. Brandt used a special “bee-vac†to round up the bees up and accomplish what is called a cut-out.
    Restoration carpenter Paul Webb climbed high as well. His role was to remove the likeliest boards and expose the colony, then repair the area.
    “I help take things apart with minimal damage, then restore it,†he explained. This was his second cut-out experience.
    Webb eased out the soffit at the edge of the roof, a crown molding and a fascia board. He said the honeycomb was about eight inches thick.
    Halifax beekeeper Adam Collins assisted. He helped Brandt to cut out honeycomb with brood and place it in frames in an empty hive body.
    Collins described the roof location as a warm, safe location for the wild colony.
    “They’re entering in several places. I can smell the honey,†he said.
    Foraging bees, returning from the field, were bringing pollen back to the roof, but they didn’t seem angered by the disruption.
    Brandt vacuumed them up as they landed on an entry point. The team spent five or six hours atop the scaffolding.
    Because the initial colony was exterminated, Collins said the honey found in the roof can’t be eaten by humans; however, it will likely aid in feeding the captured bees over the winter.
    He noted that bees don’t hibernate.
    “They come out in the winter. They’re active, they relieve themselves outside the hive.â€
    Once most of the bees were captured, Brandt kept an eye out for the queen. She did not appear until the next day, when he made a follow-up visit.

• “I’m 95 per cent sure I got her and most of the bees.â€
      Then the cavity was scraped, cleaned and sealed.
      Brandt says as a beekeeper, he is always glad when homeowners chose to relocate the colony rather than exterminate it.
      “The people I meet are so wonderful,†he said, adding that he learned to do cut-outs on some of the electronic bee forums he belongs to.
      On his initial visit to a property, he checks whether the insects are in fact honeybees. “More often than not, I arrive to find wasps or bumblebees, and I do not do extermination. Pollinators of all stripes are in trouble and deserve consideration.â€
      When fully informed about the issue, many people opt to save the bees rather than exterminating them. Spraying poison to kill a colony results in decomposed insects and fermenting honey, which is a scenario that attracts mice and rats.
      His first cut-out was three or four years ago in Lunenburg, Brandt says, resulted from an innkeeper finding honey dripping from a ceiling. He adds that if the colony dies or is poisoned, “the problem stays in the wall.â€
      He can also perform a procedure known as a ‘trap-out’ to capture the bees externally.
      “You can use it with historic homes or brick exteriors. It works almost as well.â€
      Brandt knows that honeybees are in trouble across this continent.
      “They are increasingly under pressure on many different fronts,†he said.
      Collins says bees are far more threatened today than in his beekeeping grandfather’s era.
      “We have to do everything we can do to keep them alive.â€
      That’s one reason why hardy, wild bees are worth capturing, he says. Genetically, they may well be healthier.
      photo_2172639_landscape_small_article.jpg

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

To think that all of this really started a few years ago with Iddee's thread on cut-outs!
    I had never done one before and was only vaguely aware that it could be done (somehow).
    It was after carefully following the directions on that thread that I even felt remotely comfortable giving it a try.
    Same thing with a trap-out, it was right here that I gleaned what I needed to learn and try one.
    I am still not old hat with either (matter of fact I called Iddee shortly before doing this last one :oops:) but you definitely learn something from each one.
    To anyone thinking of trying one.........do it! :thumbsup:
    In most cases if you don't the bees are going to be exterminated anyways so at least you are giving them a fighting chance.

Thanks again Iddee. :wink:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, you managed to compact all the important messages into that article. I'm sure that as a result of your "public relations" many people who might have thought otherwisse, will turn to beekeepers to relocate uninvited hives rather than to exterminators.
    In the spring, it would be great if you call on the reporter to do a follow-up article on the hive. Hopefully, people will turn to you to sell them honey from the cut-out and spread the good word. :thumbsup:

13. pturley

pturley New Member

I am with you on that... ... Cut-outs are interesting and enjoyable work! They are work, no doubt about that, but they are very enjoyable.

The reader's online comments are most commendable. Keep spreading the word!

14. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

That is so very cool! Congrats to you and Adam making great news!

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Great job and great article. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

16. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

What a good thing. PerryBee is the stuff that men are made from.

17. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Great story Perry! What a great way to get people to learn more about bees and what can be done if they have a bee issue of their own. Makes me think if all beekeeps that do trap-outs, cut-outs, swarm removal or just keep bees call there local TV station or local paper to come out and run a story what might happen!

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This thread is receding too fast. Let's bring it back to the top.