It was too cold to work the hives this week, but I knew they were filling fast by the weight they were gaining. I went out today and added a super to each, with mixed drawn comb and foundation. Hopefully, I'll get to go into them this weekend.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking mine this weekend. I thought I was picking up the odor of some nectar curing and the bees showed far more interest in the water I have out than in a small jar of sugar water I have been using as an indicator.
I still have to do my first inspection. I just started a new job and the weather has been funky. Hopefully I'll get to them this weekend too. I am going to experiment and checkerboard on our swarmy hive.
Going into my hives tomorrow with my bee class. It will be their first time in a hive, so it should be interesting. I checked my girls on Feb 28 and they were all doing well, each with a super full of goldenrod honey remaining from winter. We will probably look for signs of swarming, checkerboard and add beetle traps.
Went into both my hives yesterday. First one was pollen bound. Three frames of brood with a solid pollen frame on each side. I moved the pollen to spaces #2 and #9, putting empty drawn comb frames next to the brood frames. Signs of fresh nectar and pollen were there, along with a good brood pattern and sufficient drone cells. I placed the empty medium super on top the brood chamber and the partially full super on top of that. Hive is now ready for the main flow.
Second hive was a repeat of the first, except many more drone cells. Lots of multi-year comb that needs to be replaced. I'll do that when the brood for the main flow has been raised and production slows.