Added supers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It was too cold to work the hives this week, but I knew they were filling fast by the weight they were gaining. I went out today and added a super to each, with mixed drawn comb and foundation. Hopefully, I'll get to go into them this weekend.

2. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking mine this weekend. I thought I was picking up the odor of some nectar curing and the bees showed far more interest in the water I have out than in a small jar of sugar water I have been using as an indicator.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

we'll likely add supers this weekend. Ours have been bringing in lots of pretty pollen and flying low and heavy... so far it looks like a good spring here.

4. rast

rast New Member

Like I say, location, location, location. I already have supers being filled.

5. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Inspected my 5 hives last Sun & added supers to four.

6. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I still have to do my first inspection. I just started a new job and the weather has been funky. Hopefully I'll get to them this weekend too. I am going to experiment and checkerboard on our swarmy hive.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's been in the 40's here, but supposed to be in the 60's and 70's by next thurs. so i'll see what the girls been up to then. :thumbsup: Jack

8. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

My brother (Oakland, CA) and Father (Watsonville, CA) made splits yesterday. They saw swarm cells in they biggest hives, thus the splits.

Sounds like you need to get into them Mil. Not sure which side of the bay you are on, or even if it matters.

9. Tia

Tia New Member

Going into my hives tomorrow with my bee class. It will be their first time in a hive, so it should be interesting. I checked my girls on Feb 28 and they were all doing well, each with a super full of goldenrod honey remaining from winter. We will probably look for signs of swarming, checkerboard and add beetle traps.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Went into both my hives yesterday. First one was pollen bound. Three frames of brood with a solid pollen frame on each side. I moved the pollen to spaces #2 and #9, putting empty drawn comb frames next to the brood frames. Signs of fresh nectar and pollen were there, along with a good brood pattern and sufficient drone cells. I placed the empty medium super on top the brood chamber and the partially full super on top of that. Hive is now ready for the main flow.

Second hive was a repeat of the first, except many more drone cells. Lots of multi-year comb that needs to be replaced. I'll do that when the brood for the main flow has been raised and production slows.