adding 10 boxes and alot of straps

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

adding 10 boxes to 1 of my yards this weekend and tieing everything down, cause issacs coming this way:eek:

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I did that today. I only had to tie down 5 hives and got nailed doing that.

I figured why get the jacket on when all I'm doing is running a strap around the hives and concrete they were sitting on. I got all of them done except for one and three ladies nailed me at the same time in the same spot. Lower left hand side of my stomach, now there is a welt there the size of a tennis ball.

To top that off, when I tied down the empties I have in the yard, a wasp nailed me on the finger of my right hand. It hurts worse than the three bee stings!!

Hopefully we will not need to do anything else. Looks like it is moving farther to the west, by the forecast. Hope it continues to move that way!
    Robert

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Good luck to all of you Florida beeks!

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

my hives located more towards north east Florida I don't think Isaac will effect me that much or at least I hope not.
    Barry

5. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Zookeep, I have my hives strapped down year round. On each side of my hives I have those ground anchors that screw down into the ground and I run a strap across the whole hive and latch it. It takes more to inspect them, but I don't worry as much about them when unexpected storms with high winds come up. Can you imagine 250,000 or more bees thrown out of their houses by a tornado? :shock:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That's a very wide storm, and it's unknown what will happen after Cuba. (of course, it's historical and unpresidented that Mike Slidell from TWC is in Havana! {good grief!}).

I hope it kind of fizzles out and then comes up towards TN. We could use some rain.

Good thoughts going out to Floridians! :)

7. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Ratchet strapped down and ready for Isaac.

[​IMG]