Adding a couple goats for milk

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Yankee11, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

These are Pygmy goats, our first ones. Each year I try and something to make ourselves more self sufficient. Last year it was the bees. This year goats. Pygmy goats stay small. bout knee high.

This is Penny (gray/white) and Molly (brown/white with blue eyes) Love her blue eyes.

The owners of their parents said their mother were giving between a quart and 2 quarts per day each. Almost a gallon per day total. We want to make butter, and try making soap. Goats milk and honey soap is supposed to very good for you.

Hopefully this time next year we will be having fresh eggs, toast with goats milk butter and creamed honey for breakfast.

They are a hoot. Very fun.

2013-02-03_16-51-21_763.jpg 2013-02-03_16-51-35_467.jpg

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great photos, and very cool, i love critters.......so, wonderful pictures of those goats, thanks for sharing.....:grin:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We had a vender at our farmers market that sold products made from sheep milk, cheese,soap, cream lotion,ect. I'd never heard of milking sheep, by the way i was raised on goat milk, the doctor said i had some kind of stomach problem when i was around 3 yrs. old,so dad bought a nanny goat. It must of worked because it sure has grown.:lol: Jack

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I am finding out that goats milk is almost the same as human milk. I read somewhere that it takes about 20 minutes to digest goats milk and hours to digest the same amount of cows milk. The human body just reacts different to goats milk.

When we picked of Molly, the owners let me and my daughter try some fresh goats milk. It was wonderful. Very sweet. He said
    it makes the best butter.

I was talking to a vendor at a farmers market that was selling goats milk soap. People were buying it like crazy. She was so busy she had a hard time talking to me. I kinda hung out and watched. I guy approached her about making it to sell in his store.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My nubian will be kidding in may, can't wait to learn to milk a goat

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Okay Gypsi, I get that goat milk is supposed to be healthier then cows milk. but I really would like to know is how you can take the smell of goats milk:-X lol
    Barry

7. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Yankee, I love Pygmy goats! I had a couple, one of which was born here and I held in my hands while she was still wet, and she died of old age here, having done nothing more strenuous than run to the barn for supper every day. :)

Goat milk soap is indeed wonderful. We've made a couple of batches, though not for sale. The hardest part is trying to keep the lye from heating the milk and causing it to turn brown.

I'm sure you're gonna have fun with the little gals!

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Gypsi, you will have no problem getting a handle on a nubian; now those pygmies would be a thumb and two fingers job especially the first freshening. If you get them accustomed to getting treats, dusted up and washed on the same stand you will milk on, more than half the battle is won ahead of time. I have milked on the ground but it is times easier if you can get them up on a stand.

9. Gypsi

I don't know what goat's milk smells like, but I haven't been able to drink cow's milk in 25 years. My diet is pretty boring. And if it will make cheesecake, I will be in heaven.

10. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

They say it's the male goats being around the females that make the milk smell and taste bad. I don't have males and will have
    to take these girls to have them bred.

As far as milking, the folks we got Molly from showed us how he milked his 2. He used a syringe (needle and plunger removed) A hose was attached to the end of syringe where needle was and open end went over the teet. The hose went to a hand pump and from the pump into a jar. The whole system was closed. He said took about 10 minutes per goat. Milk stayed clean since the system was closed.

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ladyleo,

I would like to talk about making soap and have some questions.

But right now I have to get ready for church then I have a hive cutout waiting on me today. Will get back with you this evening or so.

12. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

That will be fine Yankee, and if I'm not here, ask Iddee...he and I do our experimenting together, LOL

13. Gypsi

I will be buying goat's milk from one of my pond customers, her kids are due soon. This is one tragedy too many for me.

14. LunacyMountain

LunacyMountain New Member

really the smell? I think cows milk smells gross...always smells sour no matter how fresh... the trick with getting grade A goats milk is to get it on ice as fast as possible, if able milk into glass containers in a big bucket of ice, otherwise you might have grade B by the time you get back to the house and get it on ice

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dairy supply houses sell a solid yellow block that looks like sulfur. It may be, I don't know. It can be used for ages without loosing it's effectiveness. Place it in the milking container before milking. It will remove the bad smells and taste. Even when they have been eating wild onions and the milk taste like pure onion soup. The block will remove it completely.

16. Ray

Ray Member

A few years ago, I was thinking about dairy goats and did some research (reading).
    It is very difficult to make goat milk butter, it has to do with the size of the fat droplets in the goats milk.
    The BARNY smell/ taste is due to the environment the goat is milked in. The flavor is caused by the milk absorbing the atmosphere of the parlor.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ray, maybe some, but not all. Many times you can taste the plant they have been eating, especially onions.

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, you mean Like blue john milk in the spring.:eek::lol: Jack

19. power napper

power napper New Member

One of the closed milk systems is the "Henry Milker", I use one every day to milk our Saanen dairy goat, quite easy to use and not real difficult to clean thoroughly, half gallon wide mouth canning jars are the container we use to hold the milk. The taste of the milk is definitely affected by what the goat has for a diet, luckily we have access to farmers who make alfalfa hay which is the hay we feed our goat. The cleaner the better and like mentioned before refrigerate as soon as possible. Personally we pasteurize our goats milk, some do and some do not. Rinse everything with cold water not hot water when returning to the kitchen, then wash and clean in your usual manner.

20. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Power napper, That looks like what he showed me that he uses. Thanks.

I cant get local Alfalfa here. I don't think they grow it down here. To hot. But that's what we are feeding ours. I have to buy it from the coop. Little pricy, small bale is 16 bucks.

If I can replicate what this guy we bought ours goats from is doing, then I will be happy. The milk he let us try was very, very good.