Adding a new super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by volt, May 6, 2013.

1. volt

volt New Member

Hello all... My father recently dropped on a hive at my house and I sort of have gotten thrown into bee keeping. Enjoying it and trying to learn. The have has two deeps and a med. super that is about 60-70% filled. There is an excluder between the deep and super. I'm picking up another super to add to the hive this weekend. Do I just throw it on top of the existing honey super? Was going to spray the frames with some sugar water and throw it on top but something told me to raise my hand first. Thanks!!!

(yes, I am enrolled to take a class before that gets tossed out :) )

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""The hive has two deeps and a med. super that is about 60-70% filled""

Does that mean all 3 are 60 to 70 % filled, or the 2 deeps are full and the super is 60 to 70 %?

If the latter, YES, you are correct. If the former, then wait awhile until the 2 deeps are 100 %.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

4. volt

volt New Member

Good question. I've not inspected the deeps yet. Heck, I don't even have a smoker, tool, or protective gear so I've not been brave enough to venture beyond the honey super. Since I'll get all of that this weekend I'll take a look. Thanks for the help.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

When in doubt, do nothing. (especially if you don't have a smoker and veil yet!) Between now and this weekend, you have time to do a lot of reading (great stuff here) and watch videos on youtube and brushy mountain .

Welcome and good luck! :)

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Welcome and good luck.

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum from across the pond.:hi:

Would it be cheeky to ask ''How did your father teach you to swim ?'' :grin:

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome volt, glad you found this forum, think you will like it here.

kebee

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to our friendly part of the beekeeping world. :thumbsup:
    When adding a super you can simply add it to the top.

10. volt

volt New Member

Thanks! ... I took my first sting today. Right between the eyes - lol -I guess that bee was not a fan of a guy in a white dress shirt and tie! It was cool seeing them with pollen on their legs so I probably got a bit too close.

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Volt Welcome to beekeeping and this forum. Glad to here of your initiation and still looking forward to working with the girls. How many hives dose your father have and how long has he been keeping bees for?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:hi: Glad to have you join the forum Volt. If you didn't get stung on the chest, chalk it upto the protection provided by your white shirt and tie. I sincerely hope that the sting between your eyes didn't give you too bad a reaction. The head is a sensitive spot and stings around the eyes usually leave a good deal of swelling. You can expect the swlling to recide after about two days. Don't let the sting chase you away from continuing with bees, now that you've tasted the bad part of the hobby/occupation, you can look forward to the good. :grin:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just so you know Volt, in the future, if you post any pictures of yourself after a sting, it can be worth a very nice slice of internet pie! Several members have already enjoyed the succulent vision by contributing their sting pictures.
    Something tells me a picture of one between the eyes may indeed have qualified you for 2 slices. :wink:

14. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I add the next super when the one on top is 80% full. this reduces the leaving unfilled boxes beow to some degree. Keep in mind that full is three dimensional. the depth of the comb is important as well as the frame being fully drawn across it's width and height. I foud it harder to get bees to move up into fraems of foundation than anything. moving up drawn frames to mix with the foundation help them get to drawing it faster.

The more hives I get the less I see this is an issue. more boxes of full or drawn frames to mic foundation frames with. so each colony is asked to draw fewer frames. I now have 10 colonies working on a total of 90 frames. I will be adding 60 more throughout the flow. I am really tired of not having enough drawn frames.

15. volt

volt New Member

My reaction was very very mild. No real swelling although it did "sting" for a few minutes. If I take a good sting however pictures will follow!!!

My dad lives in Salisbury, NC and has 4 hives. This will be his third season of bee keeping.

16. herbcoop

herbcoop New Member

This was the closest thread I could find to ask this question, this is my 2nd full year and the first year that looks like I'll have honey "Yeahhhh"
    My question is, I have 9 frames on my honey super and without pulling the frames before knowing this question first. From the top view down it looks 6 frames are drawn and honey on both sides. They cells look open and not capped yet. Do I add another super on this before they cap what I have or do I need to wait until they cap it all. I'm a 55 year old man excited and want to make sure I don't screw this up.
    ​Thanks in advance

17. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

you could probably consider putting another super on soon, providing (assuming) you're having a good flow right now.
    Sometimes they will fill all the frames before capping, othertimes they seem to cap as they go. I dont get it.
    Personally, if putting a super of foundation on top (or below), I wait until the first super is a little fuller (90% or so) before adding the second super. Seems to push them to draw faster.

18. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I do not add the next super until the space they have is 80% full. 6 out of 9 frames is 66% for that box. but if it is setting on 4 other filled boxes that last 34% is split amoung 5 boxes making the entire hive about 93% full. I usually just keep it simple and say the top box has to be 80% so you are not quite there yet. they can progress quickly if they are making honey though so the difference may only be days. So I would consider how fast are the buidling as well. if they are full steam I would add a box now if they are puttering along I would not.

19. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

First post so welcome to the forum. What Danial said
    Bees require space to ripen the honey, they bring in the nectar and place small amounts in the combs and evaporate the moisture off then the move the ripe honey to complete the filled cells so they can be capped over. so during an intence flow you want to see a progresion of cells in the honey super from capped cells to cells that are near empty for the bees to place the nectar in to start the ripening process. In the case of a new beekeeper and drawing comb in the honey super the bees will involuntarily produce wax to draw the comb to store additional nectar when they are forced to keep the nectar in their honey stomach. So as long as the hive has empty cells to store or foundation to draw out the bees are fine. But be aware that depending on the intensity of the flow the space required for ripening will change.