Adding a super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JosephCarboni, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

When adding a honey super what would get the bees to move up into the box an start building comb an storing honey . It's all new foundation don't have any drown comb

2. Ray

Ray Member

Most of the time they will move up on their own. I have sprayed the foundation with sugar syrup. I don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Make sure there is not a honey barrier at the top of your brood combs. That often will deter bees moving up. I use a capping scratcher and open the caps on the honey barrier, often the bees will move that honey up.

4. mrbeez

mrbeez New Member

I'm in upstate New York and I'm wondering what's the latest time I should be harvesting honey

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You can harvest honey at any time that they have it capped and ready. Just remember that you need to share it with the bees. Make sure they are left enough to overwinter on. If your honey supers and brood supers use the same depth frame, just pull a frame or two up and place foundation in the brood super. If they are different size supers don't use a queen excluder until the bees have a good start on building out the combs.

6. mrbeez

mrbeez New Member

Thanks for your help