Adding bees from a queenless colony to one with a queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by CotatiBees, Aug 24, 2010.

1. CotatiBees

CotatiBees New Member

I'm a second year beekeeper, with a general question: I was wondering if it is ok to move bees from one hive to another to even out colony sizes? Basically wondering if one colony of bees will accept bees from another colony?

Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There are ways to get them accepted, and there are ways that can cause fighting.
    The easiest way to balance hives is just switch places with them in the middle of the day. The foragers from the strong hive will return to the weak hive, thus boosting it's numbers. They will be accepted that way.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum. I must say I am confused as to what you are trying to do. Your heading sounds like you have a queenless hive you want to combine with a queen right hive. but reading the post it appears you want to balance out two queen right hives. If the later is the case iddees advise is the way to go. If its a queenless hive you can either requeen or do a newspaper combine with the 2 hives

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Riverrat is correct. I didn't see the queenless part. I only read the post itself.

5. samo's beekeeping

samo's beekeeping New Member

if you want to add bees to a small population from another beehive with a lot of population :
    1) open the weak beehive - put a newspaper on the top of the hive - make with a nail 50-70- small holes on the newspaper(bees can't go through) - put a floor on the hive- put the frames with the extra population in the floor on the hive - close the hive - after 24 hours remove the newspaper - after 24 hours fix the frames and make the hive single again.
    2) mix water and ouzo( don't drink it) and sugar 10/1/3 parts - spray the new and the old populations - add the frames with one frame empty space between the 2 populations - after 24 hours fix the frames and close the empty space

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

that is a mighty wasteful use of good ouzo don't you think samo?

I have used the same mixture (thin sugar water, lemon grass oil and spearmint oil*) I informed samo about in regards to alternatives to a smoker in much the same way samo describes in #2 above for combing small number of bees. pretty much the same detail... ie a bit of space between the two population seems to be important.

*come to think about it I do think at one time I was have some problem with mixing lecithin I was adding to the mix and a good jigger of bacardis seems to have done the trick.

7. samo's beekeeping

samo's beekeeping New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: this work has :drinks: hours...you are wright my friend.
    i use oyzo becouse has strong smell and covers the diferents of smell of the populations.
    you can use sweet liquers like cherry, banana or srawberry.anything with strong smell.
    *try tequila. the black one :yahoo: :yahoo:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my tequila is home made in the mountains of northern Mexico by a little dark skinned man who at least looks to be 20 years my senior. since it is a difficult climb up the mountain from here to there I don't even share it with 'my girls'.