adding queen to new split

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tabby, May 4, 2014.

1. tabby

tabby New Member

Hi all,
    We just split our largest hive. We moved some brood frames and honey to another box after brushing the bees back into the old hive yesterday. We put a queen excluder on the old hive box and then put the new box on top. We did this sine we couldn't find the old queen who could be hiding given how these bees make comb. We've recently seen her and lots of evidence of laying so we're sure she's still there. Nurse bees moved up through the queen excluder covering the brood frames. We took this box off early today and moved it to another location.
    My question is this: When can we add the new queen we bought to this new box? I've been told to wait 24 hours or they'll kill the queen, but it would be easier to do it late this evening. Would that be too soon?

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

It would be better if you waiting 24 hrs so the old queen scent will be gone, than when the new queen is place in the hive they will be getting her scent and think all is ok.

‚ÄčKen

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Tabby, I agree. In fact I might even wait up to three days. I'd have her in a queen cage and intruduce her to the colony by leaving her in the cage for three days so they will be more accepting.

4. tabby

tabby New Member

Well, we waited a day and a half and then did what we've done before when putting a queen in with her package - replaced the cork with a marshmallow and put the caged queen in the hive. It usually takes 3 or more days for the bees to eat through the marshmallow.
    We checked the following day just to see if she was still alive. She was alive and still in the cage, but the marshmallow was gone and there were a few other bees in with her. I watched as she decided then and there to walk out the cage and down the frames. Now I'm kicking myself for not waiting longer to check on her thinking she might have stayed in her cage a little longer if I hadn't scared her. I'm sure the ones in the cage with her were ok, but I hope her scent had permeated the rest of the hive. Oh well, if the worst happens, I can get another queen on Saturday.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

so what happened?