Adding supers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jimenz, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jimenz

jimenz New Member

I'm just getting back into beekeeping. What is the best way to determine if I need to add another super? Right now I have two brooder boxes on each hive. The top box seems to be about 80% full according to weight. There are about 2 frames on the ends that need to be drawn out yet. And the bees have also started making the white foundation on top of the frames which have always been an indicator to me it's close to adding another box.

Second question is about wax moths larva. I have several "wet" frames that I want to add to my hives. I just discovered evidence of moth worms in the comb. Should I destroy these combs or will the bees take care of this pest on their own?

Thank you for any wise advise on these two questions.

Jim Enz

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I put the suppers on when they are at about 75 percent full....put the comb in the freezer for a few days to kill the wax moth....

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What condition is the bottom box in? The bees will always gather at the top, under the honey stores. If there are not enough bees, the bottom box will be empty. New wax on top sounds like more space is needed, but wax worms sounds like there is too much space. There needs to be enough bees to cover all frames.A full box on top and an empty box on bottom does not need a super.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what iddee said jimenz, and also:
    "There are about 2 frames on the ends that need to be drawn out yet."
    shift these 2 frames in.

"I have several "wet" frames that I want to add to my hives. I just discovered evidence of moth worms in the comb. Should I destroy these combs or will the bees take care of this pest on their own?"
    are these wet frames you had stored and want to place in the hive? i am thinking that's what you meant. if so, throw the frames in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any remaining larvae. unthaw and then add them in. the bees will clean up the combs.