Advice or Arrogance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Aug 24, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

or arrogant advice?

i think most of you know that i keep my bees in a corn crib, with an electric fence around it (bears). not the typical round ones, but a rather long type 'cage'. the crib sits on a concrete base. i'll have to dig out a pic if this doesn't make any sense to anyone, or so that you have an idea. anyway, i received this email this morning from someone i have never met and who apparently poked around where my hives are kept; maybe came to our door, and took a card i leave for customers with my email address on it:

Hello,
    My wife and I happen to see your hives near XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    (an outdoor upscale restaurant near us, don't want to even mention the place);
    love the corn bin idea however I think you might want to consider a change. I work with bees and keep them in Scottsdale, AZ. (a website inserted here.....err webpage, he does swarm removal for AHB, no other info).
    f you watch your bees they seem to struggle to fly through the fence to their hive enterance and that creates lost production time for them. You might try pushing your hives up parallel to and flush with the fence wire so that the opening in the fence wire becomes part of the hive opening. Then the bees won't have to negotiate the distance between the wire and the hive which is causing them problems. You'll still have the protection of the fence but the bees should produce more and thrive better.
    Kindest,

signed first and last name.
    (for example: I. M. NOSEY.)
    (not necessary to disclose his name, i learned only from his webpage that he was from scottsdale arizona, not from the email sent).

i have not yet replied to this person, but have some thoughts; first i was going to ignore it, but what really annoyed me was in order for him to observe activity from my hives, he would have to be standing on my property to do so.......
    shooey! guess i need to go back to bee school and learn about bears and bee flight patterns to make them thrive and be more productive!.......:lol:
    comments?

ps, my hives are parallel to the fencing, not sure what he means, and also, set back from the fencing, in the event the fence fails and is out of reach of a furry paw.....

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Too small a deal to worry about. I would respond with "Thanks, I'll watch them and see what can be done"

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree. I have had plenty of occasions where it is apparent people have been walking up to my hives and looking around. While worrisome, they never go to the trouble of identifying themselves like this person has for you. While he did enter your property, he did leave a contact number so I think I would be inclined to treat it graciously like Iddee suggested.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Take a deep breath and let it go River. Your wire is no more restrictive than the tall grass in front of the entrance in my hives or the fence and bee shed of PistalPetes that conceals his hives from view of his neighbors. In a perfect world Bears wouldn't like honey and bees either.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes i have a comment, The last time i heard the word Shooey, it went like this. Shooey,Pig,Pig,Pig, and me with a slopbucket in hand.:lol: Jack

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

You could tell him that setup was deliberate to slow approach and departure flights; cuts down on mid air collisions! Actually increased production!

If that suggestion was all that could be done to improve your beekeeping you must be doing a lot of things right.:thumbsup: I think ApisBees got it right.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would take his intentions as really well meant: beek to beek. So what if he "stepped on your grass", you've put up with worse. However, if I understand the situation correctly, I don't agree with his advice. It seems to me that keeping the hives back from the fence is a better safety assurance against bears than any questionable advantage of having the entrances up against the fence. Bees can navigate well enough on their own.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

My reply:

Mr. XXXXXXX
    After speaking with the bee's to hear their side of the story. I have determined you standing outside the corn crib near the hive entrance was more of a distraction than the wire around the corn crib. Thanks for your concern I have attached a bill with a small fee for lost honey production

Best regards

Riverbee

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I think he had good intentions. But unless your fence #8 hardware cloth, I don't see how it could affect bees. :dontknow: