African community apiary

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by malaikahoney, Sep 2, 2011.

1. malaikahoney

malaikahoney New Member

I am setting up a community apiary in Kampalan slums and wanted to know if there was anyone out there with experience with African bees working in urban areas???

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

africanized bees in the USA are a liability issue in an urban area. I would rethink the stratagey and try to get another strain of bees to keep from getting someone seriously injured

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome to the forum. It could be done at greater risk. Use plenty of smoke and keep hive interactions short. Inspections after dark will limit stings to the beekeepers and not so many to neighbors.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

My experience in Southern Africa was no different than here. The bees were very similar to a slightly hot hive.

I think the american Africanized bees are not the same as true African bees.

Many beekeepers keep bees in Africa in an urban setting

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with Zulu. I think the hybrids are much meaner than the full blooded Africans.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I fully agree about welcoming you to the forum but disagree about working hives in the dark. Come night time, all the bees are home and upsetting them multiplies the bad temper they might show during the day. Mid-day, manipulations, done when most of the bees are out in the field, reduce the excitement in the hive. At night, the bees pour out of the hive and crawl over everything. You can't examine a frame and moving things around and closing the hive invariably crushes a lot of bees unnecessarily, making for total bedlam.