Africanized Honeybees and they are far more effective then I imagined!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 7, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I spoke with state bee inspector a few days ago and he told me that apparently they haven't advanced much further north in Florida then Orlando. He also described how but a tennis ball cluster of workers and a african queen can take over a colony of european bees no matter how strong the european colony is. He said, that this small cluster will land on the side of the bottom board near the entrance. A few african workers will attempt to enter the hive, and most will be chased out. but one or more will initiate a exchange of food between themselves, and young european worker. This food will be distributed through out the cluster. This process will continue until the cluster adopts the european bees colony order---about 3 - 4 days. The cluster then moves in, and the african queen kills the existing european queen, and lays for the european colony as their queen. Now thats scary
    Barry

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Have no experience with the Africans, but I read on a forum (this or another?) that "if you think you have Africanized bees, you don't. You will know it when you have them."

Walt

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I hate all the hysteria over africanized bees. Sure some of them will cover you in a thick blanket of bees all trying to sting, but it's not like they are completely unworkable. All this hysteria has done is cut off areas with AHB from being able to be customers for pollination contracts since at least in my state it's illegal to move bees in or out of known AHB areas.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I will grant you, that is you choose to want to suit up correctly, and use the economy sized smokers, and set the hives twice the normal distances apart, and still be prepared to take your lumps, then Africanized bees are fine to work with. Also true not all African colonies are that defensive atleast at first. But for the very few desirable traits they have, they have so very many more and defensiveness is only one of those undesirable trait, just the one most often spoken about.
    Barry

5. Tia

Tia New Member

I took a class on AHB keeping at one of the NC State Beekeepers meetings. Lots of things to be taken into consideration such as putting them on separate stands rather than a long bench like I presently have, and painting the outside of your veil white :)eek:). But from what I gathered, they are, in fact, workable.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I wonder how mites, shb and wax moths fare against AHB or if there is a difference?