After catching a swarm

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bergfarm, Jun 15, 2014.

1. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Hi. I caught my first swarm on may 30th. I cut the branches they were on and shook them into a hive. When i was done shaking them in. I sat the hive by the bees that were on the ground and they crawled in. I went in the hive to check it today and noticed capped honey and pollen but i don't see any eggs. Does this mean i have a hive with no queen. I also tried to find the queen and didn't see her. I don't think the swarm was from my original hive because my queen is marked with a red dot and that hive is really moving on capping honey. I attached some pictures of the swarm retrieval. Any info would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I wouldn't be worried about not seeing the queen or eggs. If the bees are building comb, gathering nectar, pollen and behaving purposefully on the frames then a queen will be present. If the queen had been lost during transfer or later then the colony would have likely absconded or returned to the parent colony.

When the colony feels the need for more bees then the queen will start laying.

3. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

watch especially for pollen being brought back by foragers. pollen coming in means larvae are being fed. In my experience, queens might wait up to three days or so before they begin to lay eggs, most often they will start laying within 24 hours of capture and settling in. Usually, I don't open a hive for the first week after capture to let them stabilize and make the place home to them. I just keep an eye on activity at the entrance, looking at what is coming in. If no pollen by the end of the week, I go in and look for signs of the queen like eggs and/or larvae and hopefully to see the queen herself.

If I see no pollen coming in and no signs of the queen, I give the hive a frame of eggs from another hive to make a new queen from.

4. bergfarm

bergfarm New Member

Thanks for the information. I will check in another week to see if i can find any eggs.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hived on May 30th If it was a prime swarm she should be laying. if it was a cast swarm she would have still been a virgin when they swarmed. If this is the case then it could take 2 weeks for her to mate and start to lay. Give them a few more days but if no show in another week they will need a queen.