Aggressive bees.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by syawar08, Jun 23, 2016.

1. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

The bees of one of my hives are very aggressive. I had read on a blog back then, that in order to make a hive normal from aggressive, one needs to change the queen. I need in re queening. A beekeeper told me that I have to wait for the whole brood of the current to be hatched first, then only I can introduce a new queen. Is he right? Or I just need to replace the queen?

Thank you

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

You can pinch the Q and replace at any point. You might lose a week or two of laying. Queen acceptance isn't guaranteed, no matter how much you pay for her.

Cranky, crowded summer bees protecting their honey can be a shock if you are used to those sweet spring things. There may be nothing wrong. Make sure you have a Q. Consider environmental reasons why they may be aggressive. It may pass. Sometimes just splitting (if the Q is laying) strangely solves the problem.

3. Ray

Ray Member

You could also just pinch the queen and allow the hive to replace her. It will take longer, but it's cheaper and more certain.

4. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

Thank you guys. @ibeelearning I am aware of the behavioral changes in different seasons or weather conditions. The hive was always aggressive.

5. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

@Ray but I read the comments of a beekeeper who had the same problem on a blog, and he did what you are asking me to do, but as he said the hive remained still in the same manner, as the new queen was emerged from the egg of the aggressive queen. Then he was suggested to introduce a new queen.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

if you have a better hive to re-queen from take all the eggs from this one when you kill the queen and give them eggs from your better hive to make a queen from. You can give the hot eggs to the better hive, they won't be made into queens there and they will make adequate workforce for their lifespan

7. syawar08

syawar08 New Member

Thanks Gypsi, that's actually what I was thinking to do.