Aggressive Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by babnik, Jun 2, 2011.

1. babnik

babnik New Member

Is it the weather? Last couple of days my bees have been very aggressive. As soon as I am anywhere near the hives, and I mean 3 or 4 metres away, i get one or two attacking my head. Is there something in my hair they do not like? This evening I was no where near the hives, and a bee attacked my head (again), and I was stung near my ear. My hair is short, and clean. Weather is a little cloudy and windy, so perhaps they are just in a bad mood.

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Cloudy & windy gets them pretty torqued up here....Isn't it funny how they always seem to go for the head shot!

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It could be something your using on your hair, cloudy and windy days, walking in there bee line, or just a mean hive. If it continues when you have warm sunny days i would requeen, but it has been my experience that a mean hive will make more honey. :thumbsup: that's just my two cents worth. Jack

4. babnik

babnik New Member

There's also another possibility, and if this is the cause it's one of my own making. Recently did a cut out and had some comb with honey left over I couldn't fit in. This I left near my hives for the bees to feed on but I may just have caused a robbing situation with lots of excited bees in the air. Did I make a mistake?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If there is a flow going on, you were fine letting them clean it.
    If it was 25 meters from your hives or more, then you were fine. If there is a dearth, you don't want to put it close to your hives.

6. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

I had the same situation last month. Discovered a queenless hive. As soon as I gave them a frame of eggs & they drew a queen cell they calmed right down.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

leaving out honey or sugar water when the flow slacks off can create something of the atmosphere of robbing and thereby make hives a bit defensive or jumpy. robber screens can limit robbing (and thereby the name) and defensive tendencies (a hive feels less threatened). if you 'expect' a dearth or lean time of the season then always place such item as sugar water or honey a good ways away from any hive or your house.

bees will also become quite edgy when they are queenless or are experiencing queen problem (and are thereby quite likely to shortly be queenless). I have always though it was likely a circumstance of lots of brood bees and less and less brood to attend to kind of circumstance. the brood bees know something is wrong and it makes everyone nervous.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Given the fact that I have just done several "walk-away" splits, leaving half queenless to raise a new queen, this last post is valuable when it comes to those particular hives. :thumbsup:

9. babnik

babnik New Member

One of my hives has quite a few what I thought were capped supersedure cells. I'm not experienced enough to say whether this hive is queenless, but it did seem to be the more aggressive one last time I opened up the hives. Having said that, they seem pretty calm today. I've taken to wearing a hat in the garden to ward of aerial attacks.

I have removed the honey comb away from the hives, and hopefully things will settle down. I have a large garden, but due to either lots of shade in one area, and too close proximity to a vineyard (who use pesticides!) on the other, I have very little place to put my hives. Unfortunately they are a little close to a children's slide, but it hasn't been a problem yet. It's only me they seem to attack. Oh and I don't put anything in my hair. No gel, hairspray nothing!