Aggressive before swarming?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Jul 4, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Got a hive that was nice as could be last summer. Got a little hot this spring, bees nervous and runny on comb. Last weekend went to requeen (they don't make honey either, just lots of bees). Boy, were they HOT! It was all I could do to split two nucs out and get them back together and get the H311 out. They were making swarm preps, about a dozen cups with eggs and 2 capped cells. I cut everything out and am going to bust them down and requeen one part and recombine. Is it typical to bees to get super aggressive before swarming?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Not normally. The timing in relation to bee activity in the hive could have a factor. Lots of bees not much nectar coming in so a large population of bees with little to do but raise swarm cells and have a higher number of guard bees on duty. There could be other factors as well the hive could be getting harassed at night by skunks or raccoons. wood peckers could be annoying them. and they are already agitated by the time you come by.
    Also bees can pick up on the beekeepers nervousness and your apprehension when entering the hive causes the bees to be more agitated.

3. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Ok, I'm trying to figure what chemical h311 is? :lol:

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

or as we say up in Canada "H_E_ _ (double hockey stick)"

5. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

O I figured it out. It was just funny thinking that was a chemical spray and he was so mad at his bees that was going to spray them with it...