AHB Question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bsweet, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Just wondering as there have been a few reports in Ok.

Are AHB swarms as passive as EHB or are they pizzy as a swarm as well? Wondering if I need to have a vail in the truck along with the catch box or not. Jim

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im going to go out on a limb here and take a shot at this one. Im thinking they ahb would act about the same as the european bees for the same reasons. They are homeless and engourged on honey. But even a EHB swarm can turn mean real fast givin the right conditions. Tec would be the one who may be able to give a better answer. Since he is down amongst them.

3. m.s.

m.s. New Member

Why not bring all your gear with you just to be on the safe side? Smoker, fuel and flame to start the fuel included. As I understand it, the general rule is larger numbers with a nest to protect.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Forget AHB. Take your gear for EHB. I have gotten as high as 150 stings from an EHB swarm. Don't take chances when your life could be depending on it.

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Geez, you got 150 stings? What were the circumstances and how did you get away?

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Not sure what benefit there would be to using a smoker on a swarm, since they have no home, wouldn't the first little bit of smoke simply cause the swarm to fly off?

Odd coincidence that I was thinking about that today as I collected a couple large swarms that barely fit in my boxes and I thought, gee it'd be nice if I could smoke all the ones that were on the tops of the boxes down so I could put the lid on, but then thought that'd probably just make them fly off immediately since they have no honey stores or brood there and the queen is in her mobile diet-mode. I would have tried it just to see what would happen, but I didn't want to risk them, since they were nice big early season swarms. If they were small late-season swarms I might try it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ms writes:
    As I understand it, the general rule is larger numbers with a nest to protect.

and then Iddee writes:
    Forget AHB. Take your gear for EHB.

tecumseh:
    I have murdered some partially hybridized and established AHB hives here. some were just established and at lower population I cannot say the african are any more nasty than their european cousins . even long prior to the 'formal arrival' of ahb (in the back of my mind and based on what folks have written I think they have been here for much longer than common thought) a goodly number of european bees were nasty little creatures.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec. are the AHB meaner than the German Black bees, or just more persistent?? I've heard the AHB are in southern Ark. and coming my way. Two years ago i got a swarm call in Nixa, Mo. the man said the swarm was in his back yard and was attacking birds and killing them. I went and got them they were a little hot,but not like i expected.The funny thing was, I brought them home,and set them out back,took the entrance block off (8 or 10 came out looking around) so i decided to take the moving screen off (i have a screened inner cover i use for hot weather)when i took the screen off,there was a loud swoosh(sp) and not a bee one was left in the hive? I'm thinking they were queenless. Jack

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

one of the few times I got lit up by a swarm was last year. I went out on a swarm call looked below the swarm and on the ground was a dead queen. I figured maybe 2 had left with the swarm. Nope shook them in a box and they was on me like white on rice. Once I got them hived and home a week later I checked them put a frame of eggs in and sure enough a queen cell was built.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, I took the 150 plus stings, then suited up. This is what the suit looked like.

[​IMG]

11. rast

rast New Member

Interesting. No where have I seen mention of spraying a swarm with sugar water. I keep a sprayer and some sugar and a gallon of water (it was originally for my truck radiator) in my truck toolbox. As far as AHB, I haven't encountered them yet. They are here of course so I keep a veil, long sleeve shirt and gloves in my truck also.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It was 46 degrees that morning. I will never shake a cold swarm again. I learned my lesson well.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hmm, it was cold yesterday, about 45, but niether of the two I shook lit me up.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is what those little black German bees that I use to have looked like. They would pop you right through heavy cotton coveralls and leather gloves.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, they were the meanest swarm i have ever caught, and they were perfectly docile after that, when it was warm. I don't know what else could have caused it.

Nope, not the German black bee. I remember them from years ago.

16. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Worse I ever got I pulled 300 + stingers out of me. Swarm was hanging on an open garage door. Guy who called was highly interested so I handed him my suit and veil. I put on my mosquito net mask and climbed up a step stool to get them. I was wearing shorts and flip flops. Put the swarm into a printer paper box and put the lid on it. I handed it down to the guy at the bottom. He wasn't expecting it to weigh anything and was unprepared to hold 3 or 4 lbs. Dropped the box.

Needless to say I got pelted. He did surprisingly well with the situation. I am really glad I suited him up though and learned my lesson. Never hand an untaped box off to anyone. Although it is a rare moment when I suit up in anything more than normal clothes with a netted mask.

17. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I need some of those German black bees to go up in that outyard up in Scott county with the bear... let's see that bear take them on... lol.

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack writes:
    are the AHB meaner than the German Black bees

tecumseh:
    tentative story title: some mutts turn out to be wonderful dogs and some turn out to be killers.

that is the european cousins that came first to mind (my original mentor's bees) Jack. a bit later (about 1983 or so) I worked a set of what appeared to be Italian bees along the Mississippi River bottom (on a full flow of clover) that were the nastiest girls I have ever encountered <think Iddee picture above X 100*. of course the 'african' stain was not suppose to be here then although everyone in the industry knew that 'african' semen had been widely distributed over much of the US. them 'Mississippi River bees' you couldn't keep them in a box and almost anything was 'cause enough' to set them to absconding. Of course they couldn't have been africanized since 'the authorities' said they were not here???

*the venom was so thick you could smell it in the air and feel it oozing thru your gloves.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree with rast, I always take a bottle of 1 to 1 sugar syrup and lightly mist the bees in a swarm before I shake, it gets them all a little sticky and less likely to take flight.

P.S. - Gotta love those shoes and socks Iddee. Been there, done that, on swarm calls. Grabbed the suit and veil and forgot all about the running shoes and low cut socks. Paid the price one day setting hives up that had been knocked over for a couple of days. Couldn't get one of my shoes on the next day. :mrgreen:

20. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

From what I understand and from what I have been told by friends who live in the areas of AHB's when they swarm they will sting any and everything within 50yds. Those little nasties are within 50 miles of southern Kansas boarder last spring and I'm sure closer now.