Ahb

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beecrazy101, Jun 24, 2012.

1. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

Who would keep AHB in their apiaries? They are great honey producers to my reading but hard to work. South America and Brazil only keep them. They swear by them. I wouldn't mind trying one hive but I dont think I like the idea of suiting up like going to war to work a bee hive.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

A hot hive will make more honey. AHB I hear are bad about swarming which would cut into honey production

3. ghost95

ghost95 New Member

I think it may be illegal to keep them. I think some states inspect hives for them. Be careful.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

stories of the africanized bees ability to produce SURPLUS honey is likely somewhat to total fabrications. they are reported to pollinate crops much better that purely european honeybees.

I would not rear them knowingly and go to some effort to cull any hive who's disposition gets a bit too hot.

5. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I thought AHB were poor honey producers. They go gangbusters with the brood production and lack on the honey.

I don't think its something I would want to experiment with. If you had a virgin queen(s) mate with a AHB drone(s) you could end up with lots of hot hives and hot swarms.

6. tommyt

tommyt New Member

Around here seems most say Hot hives are better producers
    with that said! most say Hot= AHB

T

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

tommyt writes:
    Around here seems most say Hot hives are better producers
    with that said! most say Hot= AHB

tecumseh:
    there is an obvious lack of logical rigor in this statement.

a bit of reading would inform most folks that prior to the modern day understanding on breeding bees the european bees were fairly vicious. if you doubt this ask Jack or anyone here about their early experience with 'german black bees' <my original mentor had these so the tales of the german black bees ferocity is not simply old men swapping war tales.

the minnesota hygienic bee is somewhat to very much hotter than the cordovans I rear and the lady the operates the minnesota hygienic program has informed folks that the hygienic trait and the defensive trait is on the same allele (genetic fragment). so the more hygienic expression you have the hotter the bee.

I myself suspect any bee that can survive in today environment is somewhat to highly hygienic.