Airing out Paramoth from hive boxes

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Larus, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

I have 3 packages ordered for early April. Right now all my extra woodenware is stored in stacks of 4 - 5 with Paramoth crystals on a sheet of newspaper, and covered tight with a top cover and a brick. The stacks are inside a barn.

How long do I need to air out the boxes before they are ready for package installation? Do I have to put them outside or can I just take apart the stacks and leave the boxes sitting in the barn?

Thanks.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you were using the PDB ones, the instructions from Brushy Mountain say to air them out for several days. I would think as long as there is good air flow in the barn you'd be OK.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Sun and warmer temperatures will speed or improve removal of PDB.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what perry and gary said.....
    just one comment, stick your nose in the frames/boxes......and let your nose be the judge.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I will add windy to Americasbeekeeper's list. emphasis should be on 'several days' but the ultimate test is what riverbee said.

I will tell ya' that if you put them on too early 'the girls' will most definitely let you know.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You can leave them stacked, but turn each box 90 degrees so that air can circulate freely between them. If you leave them indoors in one or several solid stacked towers, the airing out process will take longer.