All about YOU !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zulu, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

I love knowing all about the people I hang out with... but we often dont really know each other.

SO.... I will start

I am a first year beek, have 4 hives , One very strong and 2 med (Nucs) and at present still a weak swarm I am feeding up. Have already harvested 14 Frames of honey, with another full box ready to come off the big hive.

I live in NC in the Triad region , belong to the Guilford County Beekeepers, and IDDEE and Jacobs are my Bee mentors.

I am an EE by training and sell Medical Advanced Visualization software for a living. The big 5 0 is sneaking up on me, so many things to still do.....
    Pastimes and hobbies are varied and plenty LOL
    Tennis - very involved in our club - former VP of the Board and run all infrastructure management and projects,
    Beekeeping , Hops and vegetable growing, mostly peppers and tomatoes
    Beer Homebrewing was president for 3 years of local club but real work eventually made me step down.
    I thoroughly enjoy aviation and flying, license is lapsed at present because of family time, but do mess with RC planes, and also fly stunt kites from as small as 2 sq ft to 98 sqft - I think I have about 12.
    Love Woodworking and have a great shop and have made some of my own woodenware, I also love fast cars and built and run a FFR Cobra for fun at the track,
    I am just at home in the kitchen - make my own hot sauces, spiced SA sausage called Boerewors, and an air dried South African jerky called Biltong.
    We also got Chickens at the same time as the bees, and expect eggs very soon.
    Am in the process of building a Sun Room at home right now, nothing too big nor too small for me to attempt.

My wife runs a small Embroidery Business on the side , aiming at one offs, special logos, and Monogramming.

Lets hear about you.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Well I have right at 40 hives and jad as many as 70 been beekeep a little ove 6 years. I live in south central kansas south and east of wichita 8 miles from the oklahoma state line.

I just turned 46 june 15th. I have a wife been married 22 years and have 3 kids 2 boys and a girl the oldest boy is in the marine corps. the other boy leaves august 1st for the marines. The daughter will be a junior in high school this comming school year

I am self employed. I own a small machine shop and engineering company.

My hobbies are the Masonic Lodge. Iam past master of Oxford Lodge #165 and past district deputy grand master for district 25. I am also in the Midian shrine where I am in the van unit that transports the shrine kids to the hospital and back. I try to make at least one trip a month

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Have around 15 hives and been fooling around with bees since 1971. Been married since 1988 and have four daughters 20, 19, 17 and 16, all good girls.

I too am self employed, own a small automatic fire sprinkler company.

Do a little gentleman farming on the side, raise registered charolais cattle, make a little hay, nice little garden, play with bees, like to hunt squirrels, crows and coyotes, target shoot, reloading, love to bass fish but can not seem to find the time, wood work and metal work.

Wife stays at home to take care of the kids and me plus keeps the books for our little company.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No Way Rat, we share the same birthday. Happy belated birthday my friend! :mrgreen:

I have been keeping bees for about 8 years total, took a few off with the birth of my son. Turned 53 on June 15th.
    I've been together with my beautiful wife for 19 years (16 of 'em married :oops: ), son is 9 years old. Best two things that ever happened to me!
    Have 20 hives as of today, gear for another 20 but am reconsidering any expansion this year as we are moving in the next couple of months to the beautiful Annapolis Valley here in Nova Scotia.
    Wish I knew more about bees, feel like I should after the time I have in but almost always stumble on to something I am not sure of. (big plug for this forum, I have learned much here).
    I am a stay-at-home Dad (in a million years I would never have dreamt this would be my destiny) and part time beekeeper, trying to figure out if I can make a buck or two doing something I love, and am gonna do anyways (beekeeping). :mrgreen: I have had chickens, even raised a few pigs once and have tried to have a garden most years. I like to write.
    Former trucker/transit driver. My wife and I walked away from big salaries early in life when our son was born and moved to Nova Scotia. (income cut in half).
    Shortly thereafter decided one of us would stay at home (turns out it was me :shock: ) and income cut in half yet again.
    Wouldn't change a thing! Always said if we could have more of anything, it wouldn't be money...........it would be time together!

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Turned 51 in April.
    On my third (and last) wife.
    Three children (from first wife) oldest 31 and youngest 21.
    Raised on a farm/ranch, have been U.S Army, Copper miner and self employed.
    Hobbies are:Motorcycles,Fishing and hunting and now Bees.
    Lived most of my life in the west and can't wait to get some mountains on the horizon once again.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am about 62 years old and have been tending to bees for about 50 years on and off. on several occasion the on means I have worked for several commercial bee keepers starting when I was quite a young man. I have three university degrees (a cum laude degree and one advanced degree) and did my military contract in the US Navy (Vietnam era). I have been married only once and didn't pull the pin on that one until I was 40ish. The first 40 years gave me lots of time to do lots of stuff that other people only wishfully think they might like to do.

I began keeping bees on the western edge of The Washington Plantation in 1961 where I have some not so well understood genetic linkage to the original owner. Since that time I have kept bees in half a dozen southern states, 4 different eco regions of Texas and North Dakota.

Currently I maintain an Intrastate Bee License (allows you to legally move bees around the state of Texas) and a Queen Breeding Permit. Haven't counted in quite some time but I would guess I have about 250 hives (of some size and shape) out there on the landscape.

I take my screen name from a historical character who was born and reared right across the river from my boy hood home in West 'by God' Virginia, which is where I began keeping bees. Literally translated the name means 'panther passing in the night' and actually refers to a low arching shooting star (supposedly witness by Tecumseh father at the time of his birth). Part holy man and part warrior Tecumseh fairly accurately (and without a calendar) predicted the earth quake of 1812 and had organized a movement to push the white man from north american timed to this event.

7. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

whew.. 32 yrs old. I have a cute hubby and two munchkins a boy 12 and a girl 11.

I work full time and then some. I am a flexographic press operator. (nice way to say I print packages)

I chase my tail in circles getting kids to sports events or 4H activities.

We live on a nice 21 acre spread with a pond and tons of trees. Currently occupied by three pigs, four cats (I think), a dog, and approximately 15 beehives. that number changes frequently depending on hive conditions.

8. rast

rast New Member

Well let's see. I'll be 58 this summer. Fl. cracker. Had the same job since 1970 in the boat business. Been around bee hives most of my life, never paid much attention til the commercial near me quit and I had to start myself or buy real honey. Most of my youth years was spent racing motorcycles and after marriage stock cars (father in law was a car owner), airboating and all illegal things that go with it. My 8th grade science project was a working miniature moonshine still (my teacher wanted to know how I knew how I to make the mash). My Momma's prophesy of "you're gonna break your neck" came true and I was forced to slow down a lot. Raced RC cars in the 90's.
    Been married to the same woman for 30 something years, no kids. Only hobby now is bee's and maintaining a motorhome. Use to farm some, but made more leasing to others.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Im 42 years old...have 5 hives and am in my first year of actuall owning a hive although ive been around them a long time...yellow jackets to unfortunantly and now am alergic to them.
    Ive been married once and have 4 kids. Ive been a land surveyor for 25 years in central florida and am currently taking a short break from college due to having 2 heart attacks in 6 months...seems raising children on my own, working all day in the florida sun, going to night school, little sleep, smoking cigs and poor eating habbits finally caught up with me.
    hobbies: I am a flintknapper who makes his own arrows and shoots a recurve or self bow...i love to shoot my rifle...I am a saltwater fisherman...freshwater rarely...been outdoors all my life...i like woodworking and building things...i want to learn everything...i want to live in the mountians before im 50...lol...if i dont kill myself first....even though i feel bulletproof my body says otherwise (traitor)

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I'm a Fla. Cracker born and raised in Tampa Fla.,and have resided for the last 24 years in Antioch Fla. about 10 miles NW of Plant City.I'm 57 years young and have been married to the love of my life and soul mate for 28 great years.We have two fantastic kids a daughter(25) that just graduated from U.S.F. and a son(20) that has a year to go at the same university.

I grew up on a large lake in North Hillsborough co. and bass fished until I discovered saltwater fishing and really never went back to fresh(saltwater fish much larger and exciting).Lately I've turned back to deer hunting mainly because of the cost of gas and the bag limits for grouper(my favorite) and other game fish severely lowered,not making it worth while any longer.My other interest is gardening mainly vegetable gardening,which is my main reason for taking up beekeeping,because we had little to no bee traffic in our garden and luckily decided to cure the problem by taking up beekeeping.

I've been self employed most of my working life and having owned several different types of businesses including concrete mason,cable T.V. construction contractor and at present own an automotive lift installation and service company that I started in 1994,which includes quite a bit of traveling around the state of Fla.,because most of the lift installs I do these days are in residential homes.

I've been keeping bees only for a few months since April 2011 and at present have 5 hives,and lovin' every minute of it.I attend a beekeeping workshop held once a month at U.S.F. Botanical gardens,hosted by one of our members here on the forum Americas Beekeeper,and from what I can tell he devotes a large portion of his very little free time to the bees and teaching others how to keep bees,the only thing he asks in return is that we do our best to insure their survival.

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Hello everyone:

I will be 52 in August. I spent the first 14 years of my adult life serving in the U. S. Army-took an early out during the big draw-down in 1992 (plus, I couldn't serve under the then Commander-in-chief with a clear conscience).

I am an interstate commodities relocation technician. In other words-a truck driver, lol. I am gone during the week, and home on the weekends.

This is my first year as a beekeeper, although I've been interested in bees since I was about 12. I have 2 hives that were installed in as packages in late April. Those girls are drawing out comb, raising more bees, and making honey as fast as I can stack boxes.

I have been a member of this forum for less than a month,and have already learned more than all of my research and reading from the previous year on my own. The folks here are knowledgable, and willing to share their knowledge which is a big help to a new beek. I especially like reading about different methods in different parts of the country and the world.

I am an amateur gunsmith, as long as I can order the parts-I can fix the firearm. I also enjoy hunting and fishing, although can never find the time to do much of either.

I am twice divorced, but got back with the girl I "went steady" with in high school-after leading seperate lives for 30 something years-and we've been together for over 5 years.

I live in North-central Ohio, and look forward to learning and sharing with other beekeepers on this forum. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers when I post a question in the future.

Bees are addicting, I know 'cause I'm hooked!!!!