I found an inner cover that I wanted to build: http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/store/all-season-inner-cover-frame-p-232.html The plans were available online, but not from the link at the bottom of the page. The link was broken when I tried to use it. Ahhh, found a different link that works This page has plans for the whole hive! http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/beekeeping_plans.phtml The plans were pretty straightforward. 4 pieces of 3/4 inch wood, a plywood base, and some screen. You'll also probably want some staples for the screen, some wood glue, and some type of fastener to join the wood corners together. Tools needed were pretty basic. Tape measure, saw, drill, square, glue, staple gun. I had some other tools on hand which made the job easier, but they weren't necessary. First things first I decided what kind of joint I wanted to use. The plans don't call for any specific type of joint. After a bit of hemming and hawing I settled on a rabbet joint. I did this for simplicity's sake. It's a simple joint, and for this box should server me well. I was also able to set up my router table's fence once, and use that setting for all of my cuts. I just had to change bits and set the depth. I chose 4 inch stock. No real big reason other than the plans call for at least 3.5 and I didn't feel like ripping the 4" down to size. I used a chop saw to make my cuts; quick and painless. Once I had the pieces cut to size I had to cut a channel for the plywood to set in. I have a small router table and set it up to cut a 3/8 inch deep dado cut. From there I needed to cut the rabbet on the front and back piece. I switched out the 1/4 inch bit for 3/4 and placed a backer board on my router table fence that gave me the proper cut width. Two passes on each board and I was done. The vent holes presented the greatest challenge of the whole build. The plans call for the holes to be sloped so that if water gets in the hole the water will get channeled out instead of setting in the hole. I made a very, very basic jig on my drill press. By pulling the piece into the jig board the dado would act as a stop and keep the hole placement the same. It also raised the board so that I got some degree of slant to the hole being drilled. The screen for the vent holes came from the package crates that the bees came in. I had them still, so why waste the material, right? The staple gun did a fine job of securing the screen in place. Here's a picture of the whole thing put together. There's still one thing missing that I wanted to add; an upper entrance. I measured out a 2 inch opening and then set my hand held circular saw for 3/8ths cut depth and made multiple passes on the front piece. After a half dozen passes I simply used my thumb to break out all of the bits and then cleaned up the slot with a wood chisel. I glued up the joints and used brads to hold them while the glue sets. I'm not sure that the brads will be enough. If not I can always add some bigger nails or screws. Here are assembled and almost finished covers. I still need to cut an hole in the center of the plywood, and paint them up before putting them into service. My first bits of wooden ware completed. A great project for a rainy day.