All Y'All---Git To Texas!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I'm a couple of days late, and I apologize, but there's still time.

Instead of you Northerners (anyone north of me) looking forward to fireside evenings, raking leaves, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...it can be so much better!

A couple of days ago registration started for: THE TEXAS HOG OUT CHALLENGE. Yes, once registered in a Texas county you can contribute to the TOTAL KILL OF FERAL HOGS FROM OCT 1 TO DEC 31 in your county. :Dancing:

I know, it sounds too good to be true. But, a couple of days ago, the Texas Secretary of Agriculture demonstrated killing hogs from a helicopter. YES! YOU CAN USE A HELICOPTER TO KILL HOGS! :yahoo: It don't get better than that.

The winning county gets a Texas State grant, but Texas is broke. Texas wasn't broke until the Wednesday after the Tuesday governor election, but that's the way things go sometimes. They'll figure something out. :confused:

Anyway, forget the prize, YOU CAN KILL STUFF FROM THE SKY! It's just a dream come true. :Dancing: Stop by and say, "Hi".

Walt

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What, Texas is broke :confused: .You must not be listening to the Texas Governor who's running for president. :mrgreen: Jack

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

even with $100+ a barrel oil Texas could not find enough money to pay is obligations. without stimulus money the budget in prior years would never have been balanced. now that our cognitively challenged governor has stripped ALL the money from folks in old folks home and from those folks with mental handicaps (<any and all powerless group will suffice) we have begun defunding public education. where money can be found for folks to pay for "hunting" (<sounds like murder to me) hogs from helicopters just clarifies the point that some folks can speak out both sides of their month at the same time.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

...or out of both ends.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I still enjoyed the rattlesnake roundup. I can't remember the name of the town, but I was stationed at Ft. Hood back in the '80s and had a blast going to that thing. Rattlesnake burgers, rattlesnake on a stick, rattlesnake hatbands, rattlesnake belts, etc. etc. It was neat.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Probably Oglesby, I think there's is the largest. I've only seen one rattler here, and moved it away from the barn.

My wife got her introduction to feral hogs when a friend's son showed up with a cooler and 4 legs sticking up out of it. :eek: The description kind of reminded me of the horse in Animal House.

It was a young hog and gutted. My wife got out her "The Joy of Cooking" book and proceeded to butcher it using the diagram in the book. When I got home from work it was all done.

She threw away the apron she used, but we had some good pork for quite some time. :)

Walt

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My son and I went to a roundup in Taylor, Tx. about 12 years ago. We purchased 24 live Western Diamondbacks and brought them back to NC. They were quite the conversation piece for a number of years. They all eventually passed on. We were successful in getting only one to give birth, and none of the little ones would ever eat.

Never gotten a feral hog, but have scalded and scraped many domestic ones.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

feral hogs have become a large problem here in Texas. although you might think they wouldn't fare so well in the western part of the state that appears not be the case. this year has been especially dry but that does not seem to have kept the wild hogs from thriving. I have seen a couple of 'big boys' out there that certainly encouraged me to carry a large bore weapon in my truck. I heard one deer hunter complain that he could not access his deer stand because one of the 'big boys' ran him off from his lease. a 400 to 600 # wild hog ain't nothin' to mess with and they certainly are impressive to watch.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sweet water has a big rattler round up

10. Walt B

Walt B New Member

A couple of days left until the hog hunt starts.

I painted "Not a Hog" on the roof of the car. Don't want some old boy with a couple of Lone Stars under his belt taking some shots at me from a helicopter. ;)

I wonder if someone will think the hog is just trying to disguise itself as a car?

Walt

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wonder how many Harley Davidson riders will be shot while riding their hogs.

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

:thumbsup:

Walt