All you need to know about an Epinephrine Shot

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beewildered, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yeah I know from that brief story it sounds like I should get a different doctor, but really he's a good doctor- he doesn't believe in running a dozen expensive tests on every little thing, so I like that. He also listens and never rushes you- another rare thing these days.
    Plus his office is a half a block from our house so we just walk there. He is a big bicycle rider and plays music too, so my husband and I have that in common with him as well. He keeps up with the latest medical info, doesn't believe in prescribing pills for everything. We like him! But he can be opinionated...just like us! ;D
    My last doctor talked down to me like she was the only one in the world who knew anything...so I dumped her. lol!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I didn't mean for everything. Just the epi-pen.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Oh. lol!

Hey, maybe i can get my gynocologist to prescribe an epipen for me, don't you think that would work? Actually, i did get stung in a very unfortunate place once last year.

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

note to self, walk far, far away to take a potty break when working bees.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Like what Slowmodem said--atropine is what the army issues against poison gas. Unfortunately, every citizen in Israel gets issued one too (along with a gasmask). Our neighboring countries use nerve gas and we have to be prepared.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

So , lots of discussion , but one missing bit of info.

An Epipen is prescription only ( we covered that) which means ONLY the person who it was prescribed to can use it ON THEMSELVES..... That is the law. You may help them administer it to themselves only.

Doing a CPR and first aid course at present and it was made real clear....

However , the moral obligation and good Samaritan laws would probably be taken into consideration by a judge, but know the law too.

Benedryl with Zantac ( type II antihistamine and multiplier) first , 911, and if not breathing Epipen.

Also be aware there are some people who are allergic to Benadryl, but you can use Claritin with the Zantac in that case.

As one person said , if someone stops breathing , I'll take the chance on losing my house rather than stand watching.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Has anyone ever had to use an epipen? I called my doc office today. Told them I will be raising bees. Did not want to come in where the doc will check my blood pressure, tell me to say "AWW" write me a script and charge me $100. They called me back in an hour to say a script was sent to my CVS. Cost me $30 for the 2 pack. W/O insurance around $200.

Hoping I never have to use it!

8. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I am not allergic to bees, but I am to wasps and hornets. The allergy developed sometime in the last 4 or 5 years. Before that, I wasn't allergic at all.

The first time I was stung I took a trip to the ER via ambulance. The fire department gave me a big shot of Benedril when they got there and by the time the ambulance got there, I was in pretty good shape.

The next time I got stung, I grabbed my epipen, ran into the house and administered it myself right as everything started turning grey. I never passed out and my girlfriend got me to the ER quickly. I also took 2 Benedril before leaving the house.

While I was there, the ER doctor suggested I see an allergist. I have since taken the allergy shots and take boosters once per month. The great news is THEY WORK! I have been stung since taking the shots with absolutely no reaction.

So if you fear a reaction, have your epipen (Doctors prescription only!), Benedril and cell phone handy. Also, see an allergist to find out about taking the venom therapy. Like I said before, the allergy shots definitely have worked for me.

9. bee stung

bee stung New Member

If one needs a prescription, how do you convince a doctor to give one to you? We have some neighbors that told us they were allergic to bee stings (we were trying to convince them to let us keep our hives) and we told them we would get one of these epi-pens. So can anyone tell me how they got one?

no you let them get a pen ,, you DO NOT give them your pen ,, cause you are opening your self up to a suit ....

when they say they are
    allergic to bee stings ,,, a lot say they are allergic because they swell up or itch ,, and that is a norm reaction ,, so you do not want to get into that

10. ellent

ellent New Member

I've been lurking on these forums for quite some time now, and am still amazed by how much I learn here. Thanks to everyone who provides such well-informed and useful advice.

11. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member

Welcome! Please take a minute to pop over and introduce yourself in our introduction section! We'd love to know who were talking to. :)