Allocating Deadout resources to new packages.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by onehorse, Mar 2, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Are there any recommendations for how to allocate the resources from 3 - 4 deadout hives amoung 6+ packages? We don't have enough brood comb to give everyone frames of that, but there are enough frames of drawn, empty honeycomb and filled honeycomb to give everyone some of that. Should I put these frames in the locations that the bees would keep them, even if it is over a box of just foundation or just put it in there and they will sort it as they see fit? Or is it wiser just to leave deadout hives as is and start the other packages on straight foundation, like a brand new hive? Comb has been checked, no disease, it appears that they froze.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What i do is put two or three frames of the drawn comb in the middle of the new brood box and the rest foundation> This gives the new queen a head start ( a place to lay) while the workers draw and fill the new foundation. Jack

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I agree drawn comb is a huge headstart for a package or swarm. Divide it out among the new hives and put in in for the brood nest. Any honey that is left is just an added bonus.

G3

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

You will see those packages start much faster with the comb. They will surprise you.

5. rast

rast New Member

And with any kind of flow at all, will build comb faster than you think.

6. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

So far, I have one deadout hive and am likely to have several more by April. I do have packages ordered and am wondering how I can best use the honey that is in shallow supers. Please note that alot of this honey in the shallows was made from sugar syrup, which I fed extensively last fall.

What is the best way for me to use the shallows in order to get the bees to use the honey. Should I throw the bees onto a deep that has several drawn frames and the rest on foundation and put a super of honey above. My intention is to get them to use this honey. Thanks.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

put them on your lightest and most populated hives and or the hives you suspect you 'might' loose by April. If the 'honey' is capped scratch it a bit (lightly) with a fork or capping scraper. the closer these frames are to directly above an active brood nest of a hungry hive the quicker they 'honey' will be consumed.

the frame would also be useful for making up the boxes for the packages come spring time. one frame of good feed certainly adds a bit of feed resources to a fragile package. for me it would also takes some pressure off any feeding regime since with a bit of reserves in the box if weather or schedule doesn't allow you to feed at a particular time you know there is still feed in the box for them to rely on.