Almost a disaster!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Sep 9, 2013.

  1. PerryBee

    PerryBee New Member

    Messages:
    5,829
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Well, it was bound to happen at some point I guess. :lol:
    I have 3 stacks of supers waiting to be extracted in the basement. Rather than have the single trouble light method of keeping them warm, I decided to improvise. I fixed up a makeshift rack that had all 3 stacks elevated over it and decided that one of those small ceramic heaters with a fan would blow more warm air through the supers. I geared up a dehumidifier at the other end to collect the warm moist air.
    I set it up and all seemed to be going well, and just before I called it a night I thought I would take one last look.
    Good thing I did, there was a pool of honey and wax slumped on the floor under one of the stacks, at least a gallons worth if not slightly more! :shock:
    The comb on the box closest to the heater let go. :sad: Oh well, 6 or so less frames to extract.
    I will feed this stuff back to the girls.
    I gotta get something more permanent set up for next year. :lol:
    Live and learn.:wink:
     
  2. ApisBees

    ApisBees Active Member

    Messages:
    2,060
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36

  3. ApisBees

    ApisBees Active Member

    Messages:
    2,060
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36