Almost normal Inspection.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 1, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Inspected 3 away beeyards yesterday,all but one was very strong.( out of 19 hives) The one hive that was weak i think was queenless, i took a frame with two swarm cells from another hive and put in it.Found two hives with swarm cells and made four nuc's plus the frame that i gave the queenless hive, couldn't find the queens in either of the hives with swarm cells. (too many bees) Brought them home in 5 frame nuc's,some of Hwy 65 for about 3 miles is like driving over a washboard, hope it didn't hurt the queen cells in those nuc's.:???: I've been lucky up to yesterday about getting hits, took one to the left jaw, and 4 to the right ear, now those hurt:eek:, my ear swelled up to twice its normal size and turned dark red.When i stopped at Casy's convenient store for a cold drink in Weaubleau,Mo. people stared and some little kids giggled and one started crying.:lol: I wanted too, but it woudn't of done any good. Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jack writes:
    Brought them home in 5 frame nuc's,some of Hwy 65 for about 3 miles is like driving over a washboard, hope it didn't hurt the queen cells in those nuc's.

tecumseh:
    cell less than 8 days beyond the date of graph (+ 3 days for egg if you wish) are considered to be somewhat fragile so most folks avoid moving these... beyond 8 days a queen cell is (as far as I can tell) fairly robust. I think this demarcation between fragile and robust is how far along the pupae has developed. prior to 8 days the queen pupae is still white and relatively soft and after 8 days the exo skeleton has begun to harden.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jack, Jack, Jack.........they make these things called cameras, they take pictures, and one of you with your ear swelled up twice it's size would have been a wonderful addition to your post. :lol:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The queen cells are nice ones and capped,(don't know when they were capped) I put them in my home bee yard the next mourning and checked them that afternoon (didn't check the queen cells) they act like theywere right at home. That part of Hwy 65 is the new part of the double lane,when they first opened it up, people were having their cars frontend checked.:lol: Will be going that way today to check two more bee yards. Perry, after referring to you as Hoary:grin: you don't think i'm giving you any ammo do you, by posting a picture of my ear.:lol: Besides i already scared one little boy. Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the very tip end of a queen cell can give you some indication of a cells age. as you approach emergence the workers chew the wax from the very tip end of the cell. it will give the very tip end of the cell the appearance of rough leather.